The Last 10 Years - Chapter 1 - Once Upon A Time...
Since Brent and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary this past week, I got to thinking of all the places we've been and turns our lives have taken over the past decade. I thought I'd recap here.
I guess my story starts more than 10 years ago, when Brent and I met....
October 1997. I was working as a nursing assistant at a local nursing home when Brent came home from his mission (Argentina, Neuquen) and began working at the same establishment (he had worked there prior to his mission). I remember the first time I saw him. It was a Sunday afternoon, he walked in the room, sat down on a chair, folded his arms and had this really disgusted look on face. I assumed he was annoyed that he had been scheduled to work on his first Sunday home from mission. I'm sure he would have preferred to spend the afternoon with the girl that had waited for him to come home.
Over the next few weeks things weren't going so well with the afore mentioned girlfriend and on Thanksgiving, Brent broke things off. I didn't care one way or the other, I wasn't interested. At that point in time, I had decided to put all my energy into getting into nursing school.
About mid-December Brent went on a date with my friend Kamie. (She worked with us, too.) By that time, my interest in Brent was increasing, but only a little bit. The date was okay for both of them (I think) but nothing happened after that. I asked Kamie on several occasions if she liked Brent and she always said no. So finally I decided that he was free game and I probably started flirting a little.
Finally, about mid-January (I think it was the 18th) he took me on our first date. We went to a Chinese restaurant for dinner and then we went to the movie Anastasia. Brent fell asleep. You see, it was the 4th time he had seen that movie and I was the 4th girl he had taken to it! After the movie we went to the little playground at the Hyde Park Civic Center and carved soap. We gave our carvings to each other and we still have them. (Yeah, its cheesy but it was the beginning of a beautiful thing;) Then we went to play games with Brian and Holly (Brent's brother and his wife). We played Boggle. I think I lost and I know Brent won. No one can beat Brent at Boggle. Even when all the other players add their scores together, Brent still wins.
I guess my story starts more than 10 years ago, when Brent and I met....
October 1997. I was working as a nursing assistant at a local nursing home when Brent came home from his mission (Argentina, Neuquen) and began working at the same establishment (he had worked there prior to his mission). I remember the first time I saw him. It was a Sunday afternoon, he walked in the room, sat down on a chair, folded his arms and had this really disgusted look on face. I assumed he was annoyed that he had been scheduled to work on his first Sunday home from mission. I'm sure he would have preferred to spend the afternoon with the girl that had waited for him to come home.
Over the next few weeks things weren't going so well with the afore mentioned girlfriend and on Thanksgiving, Brent broke things off. I didn't care one way or the other, I wasn't interested. At that point in time, I had decided to put all my energy into getting into nursing school.
About mid-December Brent went on a date with my friend Kamie. (She worked with us, too.) By that time, my interest in Brent was increasing, but only a little bit. The date was okay for both of them (I think) but nothing happened after that. I asked Kamie on several occasions if she liked Brent and she always said no. So finally I decided that he was free game and I probably started flirting a little.
Finally, about mid-January (I think it was the 18th) he took me on our first date. We went to a Chinese restaurant for dinner and then we went to the movie Anastasia. Brent fell asleep. You see, it was the 4th time he had seen that movie and I was the 4th girl he had taken to it! After the movie we went to the little playground at the Hyde Park Civic Center and carved soap. We gave our carvings to each other and we still have them. (Yeah, its cheesy but it was the beginning of a beautiful thing;) Then we went to play games with Brian and Holly (Brent's brother and his wife). We played Boggle. I think I lost and I know Brent won. No one can beat Brent at Boggle. Even when all the other players add their scores together, Brent still wins.
Our courtship was brief. We decided to get married so Brent went to my dad to "ask permission". My dad said, "What do you want to marry her for? She's a pain in the ass!" (Now, whenever Brent gets frustrated with me because he thinks I'm being difficult, I just remind him that my dad warned him but he didn't listen.) Brent officially asked me to marry him on March 6. We were married 4 months later on July 2, 1998 in the Logan temple. We went to California on our honeymoon and moved to Ogden when we got back. I had been accepted into the nursing program at Weber State University so thats where we went to school. I got my LPN in 1999 and my RN in 2001. Brent also did his undergrad there and graduated with a zoology major and a minor in chemistry with plans to head to dental school.
Comments