The Last 10 Years - Chapter 2 - Our Family Grows
Brittany joined our family in August 1999 and Brooklyn followed in September 2001. Brooklyn's arrival was quite an eventful one and the story is long, so sit back and relax (or skip this part, if you prefer). When one applies for dental school, one applies nearly a year before wanting to actually begin the program.
December 2000: Brent had decided he wanted to apply for the program beginning September 2001. Knowing that most deadlines had already passed, he applied to only 5 schools realizing that because it was so late, his chances of acceptance were low. (Note: He actually ended up on a alternate list for one of those schools. I think it was in Nebraska.) Anyway, jumping ahead to May of 2001, Brent was getting an early start on the application process (hoping to start Fall 2002) and he came across a school by the name of Dalhousie University, located in Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada. Brent was curious about their requirements and called to inquire. He had quite a lengthy conversation with the Assistant Dean of Admissions and at the end of the chat the Dean said that at Dal they reserve 2 spots each year for American students. Those spots for the coming school year had not been filled and Brent and one of his buddies from undergrad, Shad Ingram, were offered those spots pending an interview.
Note: When Brent relayed all this info to me, I am embarrassed to admit I didn't remember where Nova Scotia was. I asked where it was and Brent said, "East-coast Canada". Okay, but surely he was exaggerating and didn't literally mean "east-coast". When I looked on a map, you can imagine my surprise!! I was going to move 3000 miles away from home.
Fast Forward to July. Brent and Shad were set to fly to Halifax for interviews. Their flight plan was such that they would fly to New Jersey and then on to Halifax. Well, the plane to NJ had some problems and didn't leave on time (not even close). Realizing that there weren't many more flights that would get them to Halifax in time for the interview the next day, we began making other arrangements. We finally found a flight that would take them to California, then to Toronto and then Halifax. Oh yeah, and this was a red-eye. Meanwhile, the plane to NJ got fixed and headed east WITH the luggage that in included the suits the guys were going to wear to their interviews. We were told the luggage would be delivered to the place they were staying but not until after the interviews would be over. The joke since has been that Brent and Shad must be the only two guys to ever get into dental school after showing up to their interviews wearing shorts, T-shirts and sandals. Oh, and Shad had spilled spaghetti sauce on his shirt and he didn't have a toothbrush.
So you're probably wondering what this has to do with Brooklyn. Well, I was pregnant through all of this. My due date was September 12. Brent's classes began September 4. Being the end of July/first of August we couldn't decide if we should hurry and move and find a doctor in Halifax or take our chances and hope the baby came early. At my next doctor's appointment I did a lot pleading and begging to get my doc to agree to induce me early. He gave in and fudged my due date a little so it appeared my elective induction would be within a week of my due date (hospital policy). My induction was scheduled for Sunday, September 2. We went to Labor and Delivery at 7 that morning. (Brent was working nights in the Transitional Care Unit and had worked the night before. He had to work just one shift in September so our insurance would carry through the month.) I had had contractions through most of the night but they were very irregular and mild so I was surprised when the nurse said I was actually dilating and technically in labor. I was augmented with Pitoccin to speed things along. Brooky was born a few hours later, at 12:39. And then at 4:30 the next morning, less than 24 hours later, Brent left for the airport to fly to Halifax and start school. The girls and I stayed with my parents for 4 weeks and my mom flew with us to Halifax and my dad drove our car there.
December 2000: Brent had decided he wanted to apply for the program beginning September 2001. Knowing that most deadlines had already passed, he applied to only 5 schools realizing that because it was so late, his chances of acceptance were low. (Note: He actually ended up on a alternate list for one of those schools. I think it was in Nebraska.) Anyway, jumping ahead to May of 2001, Brent was getting an early start on the application process (hoping to start Fall 2002) and he came across a school by the name of Dalhousie University, located in Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada. Brent was curious about their requirements and called to inquire. He had quite a lengthy conversation with the Assistant Dean of Admissions and at the end of the chat the Dean said that at Dal they reserve 2 spots each year for American students. Those spots for the coming school year had not been filled and Brent and one of his buddies from undergrad, Shad Ingram, were offered those spots pending an interview.
Note: When Brent relayed all this info to me, I am embarrassed to admit I didn't remember where Nova Scotia was. I asked where it was and Brent said, "East-coast Canada". Okay, but surely he was exaggerating and didn't literally mean "east-coast". When I looked on a map, you can imagine my surprise!! I was going to move 3000 miles away from home.
Fast Forward to July. Brent and Shad were set to fly to Halifax for interviews. Their flight plan was such that they would fly to New Jersey and then on to Halifax. Well, the plane to NJ had some problems and didn't leave on time (not even close). Realizing that there weren't many more flights that would get them to Halifax in time for the interview the next day, we began making other arrangements. We finally found a flight that would take them to California, then to Toronto and then Halifax. Oh yeah, and this was a red-eye. Meanwhile, the plane to NJ got fixed and headed east WITH the luggage that in included the suits the guys were going to wear to their interviews. We were told the luggage would be delivered to the place they were staying but not until after the interviews would be over. The joke since has been that Brent and Shad must be the only two guys to ever get into dental school after showing up to their interviews wearing shorts, T-shirts and sandals. Oh, and Shad had spilled spaghetti sauce on his shirt and he didn't have a toothbrush.
So you're probably wondering what this has to do with Brooklyn. Well, I was pregnant through all of this. My due date was September 12. Brent's classes began September 4. Being the end of July/first of August we couldn't decide if we should hurry and move and find a doctor in Halifax or take our chances and hope the baby came early. At my next doctor's appointment I did a lot pleading and begging to get my doc to agree to induce me early. He gave in and fudged my due date a little so it appeared my elective induction would be within a week of my due date (hospital policy). My induction was scheduled for Sunday, September 2. We went to Labor and Delivery at 7 that morning. (Brent was working nights in the Transitional Care Unit and had worked the night before. He had to work just one shift in September so our insurance would carry through the month.) I had had contractions through most of the night but they were very irregular and mild so I was surprised when the nurse said I was actually dilating and technically in labor. I was augmented with Pitoccin to speed things along. Brooky was born a few hours later, at 12:39. And then at 4:30 the next morning, less than 24 hours later, Brent left for the airport to fly to Halifax and start school. The girls and I stayed with my parents for 4 weeks and my mom flew with us to Halifax and my dad drove our car there.
Comments
So I saw that you were updating your blog on face book. and thought I would check it out. I love blogs it's so much easier to stay caught up with everyone. Plus it is my only record keeping thing I do. Hope you don't mind!