Brittany

A while back I decided I wanted to do a spotlight post for each of my kids. Since Brittany's the oldest, I'll start with her and get to the other two some other time. But because I'm lazy, I'm combining her spotlight and her birthday.

Brittany celebrated her 9th birthday last Friday (08/08/08). I pay my kids NOT to have birthday parties. Well, they get to choose. They can have a party with friends or I'll give them $50, in addition to their gifts from Brent and me, and take them shopping and let them blow the money on just about anything. (I do have some rules. Brittany asked if she could go to the pet store and buy a cat. I said no. How about a bunny? Nope. A bird? Absolutely not!)

We hopped in the car that morning and she navigated. First we went to the dollar store, then Michael's, and then Wal-Mart. And after that, lunch at Golden Corral (not my favorite place, but Brit got to choose.) It was fun to watch her shop and manage her money. Everything she bought was artsy and crafty and she came home with quite a bit of loot.

She wanted a new desk and chair for her room so thats what she got from Brent and me.
I have always made and decorated my kids birthday cakes. I don't have nearly the talent (not even close!!) my mom does but I do try. However, this year Brittany decided she wanted an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen. Thats what Brent got for my birthday last Spring and Britty wanted the same thing. Talk about an easy birthday. It was great!

Now, about Brittany.
Full name: Brittany Suisse
Nicknames: Bim, Britty, Brit, Book-worm
How she got the nicknames: I think Brit and Britty are self-explanatory. Keep reading and you'll understand where Book-worm comes from. As for Bim. That came from Brooklyn. She couldn't say "Brit" when she was learning to talk so she said "Bim" and it stuck.
These are her favorites:
Color: blue. Food: Macaroni Tomato Soup. Drink: Apple Juice. Candy: Sour Patch Kids. Game: Kids Cranium. Book: Too many to choose from. Thing to do: Read and color. Holiday: Christmas. Movie: The Avatar series. Animal: Bunny. TV Show: I, Carly. Restaurant: Golden Corral.

Brittany entered this world a day later than when she was supposed too (much to my disappointment). She weighed in at 6lbs 14 oz and had lots of dark hair. For the most part she was a good baby. She was an excellent sleeper, which was wonderful, and sometimes she just liked to lay on the floor and be left alone. However, by the time she was 18 months, her real personality began to shine through. Brittany is very head-strong and stubborn. She also likes to be the boss and its usually her way or the high-way. (I have no idea where these traits came from!)
Brittany is a wonderful little girl and I am lucky to have her as my daughter. She is so smart and has amazing reading abilities (she ranked in the top 10% nationally this past year.) Some parents can't get their kids to turn off the TV/computer/video games, but for me, sometimes I can't get Brittany to put her books down. She even tries to read at the table while she eats and thats where I really have to put my foot down. Brittany is very inquisitive and loves to learn about new things. School comes easily to her. She is a good example to her sister and brother and also to me. I am amazed at how responsible she is, especially when it comes to managing her diabetes. I have really noticed lately how much I don't have to help her. She figures everything out on her own. She is so special and I love her!!

One of my most favorite stories about Brittany: She was 2, almost 3, and we were living in Halifax. We were getting ready to head to Utah for the summer. I had to go the bank and I took Brittany with me. We were standing in line and this man got in line behind us. The guy had one of the largest bellies I have ever seen. He was huge! Brittany looked at him and said, "Hi Fatso!" I'm probably horrible for thinking thats funny but it was. Thankfully, I'm pretty sure the man didn't hear her but I started laughing uncontrollably. I know I should have at least waited until I left the building, but I couldn't help it. It still cracks me up.
Brittany loves treats, especially chocolate. She is her mother's daughter.






Brittany, I love your smile and your bright blue eyes.


Comments

Stacey Irwin said…
what a cute girl! Love the birthday idea. money or party ( I hate putting parties together!) I might start offering that!( it's cheaper in the long run too!)
Happy brithday Brittany!
Anonymous said…
that is a good idea...money or a party! sounds like brittany is turning into a lovely young lady. I can't believe she's 9 since she was so little when you guys left here!

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Bogger Messed Up My Give Away