Preschool Field Trip

Damon has an amazing preschool teacher this year. She takes the kids on a field trip each month and she is so creative with the outings. Last Friday was field trip day and the kids got to go grocery shopping. The parents were asked to cut labels from food packages and send them to school in advance, along with enough money to purchase the items. The kids each made a wallet or a purse in which to keep their money. They attached the food labels to the inside of a manila folder. Miss Patty rounded up a bunch of toy shopping carts so each child could have a place to put their own groceries.

When we got to Macey's, each child was given a cart, their list, their money, and a "grown-up buddy". I was in charge of Damon and one other little boy. I expected utter chaos but I was pleasantly surprised to discover the opposite as we started through the store. The boys thought it was so neat as they would pass other kids from their class in the isle. All of the kids were courteous to other shoppers and there wasn't any goofing around.


After the kids collected the items on their lists, we proceeded to the self check-out. The kids got to scan their own items and feed the money into the machine. I wish I had been able to get some pictures of this part but I was too busy monitoring money transactions.

After they paid, the kids took their purchases back to Miss Patty's van and then headed back into the store for ice cream cones.






It was such a fun trip. I've never known of any other preschool teacher to attempt anything like this. I am impressed at how smoothly the morning went. Nobody got lost or hurt, and there were no tantrums. Oh, but when I first told Damon I was coming on the fild trip he was kind of mad. He said, "But Mommy, I don't want you to see what I'm buying for you!"

Comments

Stacey Irwin said…
Okay.. How awesome is that?! She clearly loves what she does and is very good at it.( I'm gonna need a name number address.. then I need to move back in time for Zoey to have her.) The pictures are adorable!!!! I wish we got to do that when we were that young. ( I was always told to fold my arms and don't touch anything.)
And cool that you got to go too! I need this lady for Zoey!
Tami said…
I sure wish you would move back here!!
That is awesome. What a creative approach. That took some serious time to plan and carry-out. She sounds great and the kids look so small and cute in the store.
Kylene said…
Tami, I found your site off of Tina's and wanted to say hi. If you want to peek at our blog, send me your email address and I'll send you an invite.
(kylenesouth(at)gmail(dot)com)

I've spent the last half hour looking at your adorable family. I'm so glad that things are okay with your husband. I also read the post about your dad. It reminded me once again what the important things really are. Thank you for sharing. You have such a neat family.

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Parade

New House