School Lunch Update

So I thought I'd post a little update on how things are going with the home lunches since I banned school lunches last month. Brittany complained and argued continuously for about a week and kept asking how long we were gonna do this for. Then, I finally had the opportunity to take the kids grocery shopping with me so they could help choose things they wanted to eat. Since then, I've not heard a negative word from Brittany. I'm really surprised. My kids are such picky eaters. They won't things normal kids will eat. For example, they will not eat cold-cut sandwiches, carrot sticks with Ranch, tuna, wraps of any kind, salad of any kind; Brooklyn will not eat peanut butter, and Brittany will not eat cheese. On the other hand, they have gotten excited about bagels with cream cheese, soup or some sort of leftover casserole taken in a thermos, the occasional Lunchable, and the occasional bag of chips. I've also been astounded this past week as Brittany REQUESTED a banana. Twice. This girls does not eat bananas!

I'm quite pleased with the progress we've made. Its more effort on my part, to make sure the lunches are packed and that said lunches actually leave the house WITH the kids in the mornings but I think its been worth it. I personally cannot function in the afternoon on an empty stomach and I don't know how the kids can excel in school if thats the case for them. So now I know that each day they've got food in front of them that they like and will eat. I think they may also be learning to like other foods, too. So, I'm glad I stuck to my guns. We'll see where we go from here.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well done for sticking to your guns on this one! I have a hard enough time packing lunches for Phil and even having Ethan at home I have a hard time figuring out what to make for lunch. That is (cautiously) good news about Brent, hopefully they don't find anything and I'm glad that he's recovering well.
Stacey Irwin said…
I'm impressed. I would have given in and up. But I'm glad they are okay with it now if not enjoying it more.
Bagaels and C.C are J-man's favorite and they are filling.
What a good idea to let them shop and choose what they want!
Way to go. I'm sure they feel better with a full tummy too!
Liz said…
Good on you my friend! Check out http://www.ilunchbox.com/ for some ideas as well.
Julie and Nate said…
I am always impressed with all the good things you do with your kids. You are such a good mom.

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Parade

New House