Update on Brent

Brent had surgery yesterday and everything went very well. There were no complications and no surprises. The pathologist did the frozen section while Brent was in the OR and it was negative for Papillary carcinoma. Dr. Wood says the tumor is definitely follicular but whether or not it is an adenoma or a carcinoma (benign vs malignant), remains to be seen. On a side note, this was the same pathologist that received the voicemail from me last week and Dr. Wood admitted to me that the surgical team had a little fun with him at my expense. The team said things like, "Mrs. Suisse is wondering why the frozen section is taking so long." Well, I really don't care (I actually thought it was kind of funny). I made some noise last week and got what I wanted a little faster than I would have otherwise, so....whatever.

Anyway, we will have the path reports Friday morning (although I promised I wouldn't start making phone calls and leaving voice mails until next week.)and then we'll know for certain what we're dealing with and what the next steps will be. On a positive note, Dr. Wood feels confident that this tumor was the cause of the throat pain Brent has been experiencing, the reason he started seeing doctors in the first place. The tumor was very hard and it was rubbing on Brent's trachea and hypoglossal nerve.

Brent came out of the anesthesia pretty well. He experienced only a little nausea and dizziness. By mid-afternoon, he was feeling pretty good and he had an appetite by dinner. His pain has been minimal, nothing like the tonsil thing. He spent last night in the hospital and I brought him home this morning. His incision is 2 1/2 inches (exactly, I measured it) and its not the most attractive thing, but I have seen worse. Brent plans to wear a shirt and tie to work next week so his patients don't have to stare at the gash in his neck. So, if you want to see Brent in a shirt and tie at work, make an appointment with him for next week because this will be your only chance.

I cannot adequately express my gratitude for each of you and your thoughts and prayers. Thank you for the offers of help with the kids and the offers to bring meals. Thank you to those of you that joined with us in fasting last Sunday and for all the prayers. I am in awe of the support that we've received from friends and loved ones from California to the eastern coast of Nova Scotia and so many places in between. Thank you so much.

I'll post the pathology results when we get them so check back over the weekend. Until then, we'll just hurry up and wait.

Comments

The Super Seven said…
Glad to hear that everything went well and that Brent is recovering nicely. Hopefully it will be good news on Friday!!! I marvel at your blogs and all the terms. I couldn't imagine how I would word any of it if it were me in your situtation. I guess your nursing background helps:) Hope that you are the kids are doing well.....I'll be watching for anymore Brent updates....thinking of you all!!!!
Stacey Irwin said…
So glad to hear surgery went well. Laughing that the Dr. Teased you. But you know what they say.. squeeky wheel gets the grease! At least you both have a good sense of humor about it!
Hope everyone is recovering well especially Brent. Are you feeling okay about everything?
I'll be watching for more updates on what the test come back us( praying for the best!)
One of these days you will have to tell the story about Brents tonsil's It sounds like a doozy!
Liz said…
I am so happy to hear all is well. We will still be praying for a speedy recovery.
I'm so glad to hear that everything went soo well. Hey you know they say the squeaky wheel gets the greese, an no one will worry about your family like you will so give it sista!
Anonymous said…
So happy to hear that the surgery went well and fingers crossed that the news is good news. I think that it shows how concerned you are calling the lab. It made them get back to you more quickly!!

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Parade

New House