Back to Bethlehem
"Back to Bethlehem" was the theme for our ward Christmas party this year. This was a party like none I've ever attended. I was quite impressed. The Activities Committee really went the extra mile and put tons of effort into this event. The idea was to get back to the true meaning and reason of Christmas. It was not your typical ward party with a turkey dinner, Santa Claus and maybe a program or talent show. Instead, the entire gym was decorated to look like ancient Bethlehem. The lights were dim, there were shops set up with food, there was a stable and they brought in lots of plants and trees to add to the effect. Everyone was supposed to dress in "Bethlehem" attire and each family was asked to bring a can of food for the food bank as their "tax". As we entered the church, we were given a small cloth bag containing 7 shekels (pennies) which were to be used to purchase a meal for our family. Dinner cost 6 shekels and included a chicken salad-filled pita, rolls/bread, apple cider, fruit, nuts, cheese, and cookies. They also had peanut butter and honey sandwiches for pickier eaters. With our last shekel, the kids went to the Ole Toy Shoppe and each purchased a dreidel game.
Each family brought a blanket to spread on the floor of the gym on which to sit and eat; there were no tables set up. After eating, the story of the Nativity was re-enacted by kids from the primary. The ward choir also sang several numbers and there were a couple of small groups that also performed. Brent sang in a trio with 2 other men in the ward. They dressed as the 3 wisemen and sang "We Three Kings". It was really nice, despite the fact that Brent was kind of coerced into doing it. I really enjoyed the evening, it went along with my goal of getting back to the basics this season. I think the kids were a little bored but there was a nice spirit present.
I meant to take the camera and get pictures, but of course, I forgot it, so you'll just have to picture the event in your mind.
Each family brought a blanket to spread on the floor of the gym on which to sit and eat; there were no tables set up. After eating, the story of the Nativity was re-enacted by kids from the primary. The ward choir also sang several numbers and there were a couple of small groups that also performed. Brent sang in a trio with 2 other men in the ward. They dressed as the 3 wisemen and sang "We Three Kings". It was really nice, despite the fact that Brent was kind of coerced into doing it. I really enjoyed the evening, it went along with my goal of getting back to the basics this season. I think the kids were a little bored but there was a nice spirit present.
I meant to take the camera and get pictures, but of course, I forgot it, so you'll just have to picture the event in your mind.
Comments
I love that idea of getting back to the to basic and the point of christmas!
SO glad you guys enjoyed it! and way to go Brent had no idea he even sang!