Christmas Traditions
I have been thinking about traditions a lot lately. Tis the season, I suppose. I've been reminiscing over the traditions from my family while growing up and also the ones I have with my own family now. Its interesting how traditions are carried from one generation to the next. Sometimes things get changed or tweaked a bit, sometimes the tradition remains exactly the same over the years, and sometimes, for whatever reason, the tradition gets scrapped all together.
I made my Christmas candy today; fudge and English Toffee. I've made it every year for the past 8 or 9 years. I got the recipes from my mom and I remember her making them every year. I remember the countless hours she spent standing by the stove stirring this or that so it wouldn't burn or overcook and then packaging it all so nicely to give to friends, neighbors, and teachers. I do that with my kids. They love running around the neighborhood delivering treats and, on the last day of school before Christmas vacation, they take goodies to their teachers.
When we were growing up, Preston, Idaho was the place to go to see Christmas lights. People really got into decorating the outside of their houses. We'd usually pile into the car and drive up on a Monday night for Family Night to "go see the lights". It was so exciting and so fun. I've done my best to maintain something of this nature for my own kids. Its hard, though, because Brent hates stuff like this (he's a Christmas poop) so I'm on my own and I try to go on a night when he's working late so I don't feel like we're deserting him.
When we were really young we used to go to Grandma Audrey's house on Christmas eve and Grandma Bartlett's Christmas day. We take our kids to visit their grandparents, too.
As we got older, Dad started some new traditions. At some point when I was a teenager Dad started the "steak and lobster" Christmas eve dinner. I used to love watching my parents prepare this meal. Dad got right in the thick of things to cook, which is not something he did on a regular basis. Honestly, I really don't like lobster, but I always ate it, mostly because Dad was so excited over it. I will never forget my dad's last Christmas eve. He made steak and lobster as per usual. This was the first and only time Brent ever had the steak and lobster Christmas eve dinner. Actually, this was the first time Brent had ever had lobster. He had always known that he had a mild allergy to certain types of shell fish, but it was unknown as to whether or not lobster would be a problem so Brent, always willing to try something new, dug right in. He was fine at first, but after a while he didn't feel so good. He ended up having a horrible allergic reaction, not anaphylaxis but he did get really sick. I knew he wasn't feeling well and on the way home that night he admitted to me that while he was loading stuff into our car, he really had to puke and knew he wouldn't make it back into the house. So he went around the side of the house and found some bushes.--Mom, don't know if you knew that before now. Good thing it was winter, besides, you don't live there anymore. Anyway, I have NEVER seen my husband so miserable (except for the tonsil thing last summer). He was sick and throwing up for hours and his entire body, and I mean EVERYWHERE, broke out into this severe rash. He spent the evening in bed trying to recover while I tackled the Christmas morning preparations by myself. Needless to say, this is one tradition that has been scrapped for our family. Lesson learned: Brent should not eat lobster. Ever.
In years past, when it was our turn to visit my parents Christmas morning, my mom would make a big breakfast and we'd eat before opening presents. I'm planning to do this for my family this year since we're not going anywhere Christmas day.
Every year Santa brings each person in our family their own calendar for the coming year.
My very most favorite tradition is another one my dad started. It began about the same time as the steak and lobster tradition. Each year Dad would go out a buy and story book about Christmas (we were all teenagers by this time, or close to it). Before we went to bed we'd gather as a family and Dad would read the book to us. It was a new book each year and stories were always either a different twist on Christ's nativity or a story of someone giving or receiving service. I've carried this tradition on in my own family, with a few additions. Everyone gets new pajamas Christmas eve. After we put on our pjs we talk about Christ's birth and review with the kids the events leading up to that monumental occasion. Afterwards, I read our new Christmas book. This is probably my most favorite 3o minutes of the whole holiday season. I'm so glad my dad started this.
I love traditions. Just the familiarity that comes with them creates such a sense of excitement. I look forward to continuing on the traditions we have and maybe even adding something new at some point.
I made my Christmas candy today; fudge and English Toffee. I've made it every year for the past 8 or 9 years. I got the recipes from my mom and I remember her making them every year. I remember the countless hours she spent standing by the stove stirring this or that so it wouldn't burn or overcook and then packaging it all so nicely to give to friends, neighbors, and teachers. I do that with my kids. They love running around the neighborhood delivering treats and, on the last day of school before Christmas vacation, they take goodies to their teachers.
When we were growing up, Preston, Idaho was the place to go to see Christmas lights. People really got into decorating the outside of their houses. We'd usually pile into the car and drive up on a Monday night for Family Night to "go see the lights". It was so exciting and so fun. I've done my best to maintain something of this nature for my own kids. Its hard, though, because Brent hates stuff like this (he's a Christmas poop) so I'm on my own and I try to go on a night when he's working late so I don't feel like we're deserting him.
When we were really young we used to go to Grandma Audrey's house on Christmas eve and Grandma Bartlett's Christmas day. We take our kids to visit their grandparents, too.
As we got older, Dad started some new traditions. At some point when I was a teenager Dad started the "steak and lobster" Christmas eve dinner. I used to love watching my parents prepare this meal. Dad got right in the thick of things to cook, which is not something he did on a regular basis. Honestly, I really don't like lobster, but I always ate it, mostly because Dad was so excited over it. I will never forget my dad's last Christmas eve. He made steak and lobster as per usual. This was the first and only time Brent ever had the steak and lobster Christmas eve dinner. Actually, this was the first time Brent had ever had lobster. He had always known that he had a mild allergy to certain types of shell fish, but it was unknown as to whether or not lobster would be a problem so Brent, always willing to try something new, dug right in. He was fine at first, but after a while he didn't feel so good. He ended up having a horrible allergic reaction, not anaphylaxis but he did get really sick. I knew he wasn't feeling well and on the way home that night he admitted to me that while he was loading stuff into our car, he really had to puke and knew he wouldn't make it back into the house. So he went around the side of the house and found some bushes.--Mom, don't know if you knew that before now. Good thing it was winter, besides, you don't live there anymore. Anyway, I have NEVER seen my husband so miserable (except for the tonsil thing last summer). He was sick and throwing up for hours and his entire body, and I mean EVERYWHERE, broke out into this severe rash. He spent the evening in bed trying to recover while I tackled the Christmas morning preparations by myself. Needless to say, this is one tradition that has been scrapped for our family. Lesson learned: Brent should not eat lobster. Ever.
In years past, when it was our turn to visit my parents Christmas morning, my mom would make a big breakfast and we'd eat before opening presents. I'm planning to do this for my family this year since we're not going anywhere Christmas day.
Every year Santa brings each person in our family their own calendar for the coming year.
My very most favorite tradition is another one my dad started. It began about the same time as the steak and lobster tradition. Each year Dad would go out a buy and story book about Christmas (we were all teenagers by this time, or close to it). Before we went to bed we'd gather as a family and Dad would read the book to us. It was a new book each year and stories were always either a different twist on Christ's nativity or a story of someone giving or receiving service. I've carried this tradition on in my own family, with a few additions. Everyone gets new pajamas Christmas eve. After we put on our pjs we talk about Christ's birth and review with the kids the events leading up to that monumental occasion. Afterwards, I read our new Christmas book. This is probably my most favorite 3o minutes of the whole holiday season. I'm so glad my dad started this.
I love traditions. Just the familiarity that comes with them creates such a sense of excitement. I look forward to continuing on the traditions we have and maybe even adding something new at some point.
Comments
I think it's wonderful to keep traditions going...and to add to them as you build a family of your own. One tradition I know I'll do with my own kids is something my parents did when I was young...
On Christmas Eve we were allowed to open one present and it was always pajamas and then we would drive around in the car and look at Christmas lights together...
Just something I always enjoyed. New PJ's and Christmas lights.
I love your reading a story on christmas eve.. I might have to add that one on.. I love books and anything to remind what chirstmas is all about.
You'll have to post your recipe's for your treats. I have always wanted to try make'n those.. and I know that stuff is so awesome!
I love traditions..brings back the old memories and creates the new.