Shoe Policy

This post follows along the same line as my previous post. (I seem to be on a germ kick lately. I was a complete germaphobe in elementary school, its amazing I can actually function as an adult and I didn't even have to go to therapy. But, alas, I'll save that story for another post...maybe the next one.) Today's post is about wearing shoes in the house. Here is some background.

Growing up, we never had to take our shoes off in the house, unless they were really dirty, my mom never made us. I had a few friends growing up that had a "no shoes in the house" policy and I always thought it was really strange. The mother of my boyfriend in high school also had this policy and it drove me nuts that I had to take off my shoes every time I went to his house. Brent and I have never had this rule in our home until we moved to Halifax.

I remember moving into what would be our home for the following four years and getting settled and then coming to the realization that I would be EXPECTED to take off my shoes EVERY time I entered someone else's home. I'm not sure if this is actually considered a custom, but it is a very wide-spread practice in the Maritimes, and I can only assume, through out the rest of Canada. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) It is considered rude and disrespectful to walk into someone's house with shoes on your feet. Well, I was quite bugged at first but I quickly adjusted and I realized that others showed that same courtesy to me when they entered my house. I also realized some great advantages to this practice. After a while, I decided "no shoes" was really a good idea, for reasons I'll get to in a minute, and that we would continue this practice once we returned to the states. So, for about the first 3 1/2 years we were back in Utah "no shoes" was the policy at our house. And when we would go to someone else's house, we all would take off our shoes. It was just automatic for our kids to kick their shoes off immediately upon entering a house; it was all they'd ever known. I even posted a small sign on my front door that read "Please remove shoes upon entering. Thanks"

I admit I've relaxed on this rule quite a bit over the past 6 months or so. I'll get to those reasons in a minute, too. But first, this is why it is a GOOD idea not to wear shoes in the house. Shoes get dirty. We wear our shoes everywhere we go and in the process we pick up dirt, dust, tiny rocks, and germs. Then we track all of that in our homes. Carpets stay cleaner and nicer longer if nobody ever wears shoes on them because that gunk from our shoes transfers to the carpet. Secondly, if it is raining outside and you don’t take off your shoes, then your floors and carpet get wet. Wet spots make dirt and grime stick, and then when you do take off your shoes and you’re walking around in your socks and step in a wet spot, it just doesn’t feel good. Third (and this has been a big one for me), germs. Think of all the places you walk in a day; stores, restaurants, public bathrooms, etc. (Refer to my previous post for a better idea of what types of gross things may become attached to your shoes, as well as your purse and then realize you’re taking that into your house.) If you have babies or toddlers in your home, think of where they spend most of their waking minutes. On the FLOOR! They are crawling and playing in the areas where people walk, they are getting those germs on their hands and toys. Where do these little creatures put their hands and toys? In their MOUTHS! Would you ever hand your baby a toy that had dropped on the floor of a public restroom without doing some serious sanitizing first? Maybe my kids were just abnormal, but when they were really little, they would pick up food that had fallen to the floor and eat it. I certainly never considered this an ideal way to feed my kids, but sometimes they were faster than me. But, I felt a lot better about the floor being a buffet table when I knew nobody was tracking in crud on their shoes. Surely you would never allow your child to pick up Cheerios from the floor of the Wal-Mart bathroom and eat them.

Now, I don’t know the origins of why Maritimers take off their shoes. I don’t know if it happens to be one of the reasons I’ve listed or something completely different. (Maybe someone could clue me in here.) But, the above paragraph demonstrates my reasons for why this was a rule in our house. I know it really bothered some people, especially my dad. In fact, he would’t take off his shoes when he came to visit and he told me point-blank he wasn’t going to. I just accepted that and didn’t let it bother me.

Sadly, I admit the rules at my house have changed. Maybe I’m getting lazy, or maybe I don’t care as much, which is probably the case. At any rate, I quit caring when my kids were old enough to know better than to eat off the floor. (The dog still eats off the floor, but I don’t worry too much about her. She also eats garbage and it doesn’t seem to make her sick.) I no longer tell the visiting or home teachers they have to remove their shoes and the sign on my door is gone. I do not allow shoes on my furniture and I still prefer people not walk on my carpet with shoes, but I really don’t care about the hard wood and the tile, its really easy to clean. Still, though, when we have a large group of people over for dinner or a party, I make everyone leave the shoes at the door, its just too much foot-traffic. It goes without saying, if one’s shoes are muddy, really dusty, or wet, they also must be left at the threshold. I also no longer remove my shoes at someone else’s house (as long as they are “clean”) unless that person asks me to or they are shoeless when I arrive. Because, really, if it is a “shoe” house, then my socks are going to get really dirty.

So, I’ve really exposed some of my idiosyncrasies with my recent posts and I’m wondering, is there anyone still willing to be my friend? I’ll let you wear your shoes in my house but you still can’t put your purse on my table.

Comments

Stacey Irwin said…
LOL!!! I'll still be your friend! In truth I somewhat agree. I always ask when I go to someone's home if they would like me to take my shoes off. I just think that is more respectful. And completely understand the need to attempt to keep the carpets from being totally gross. ( I invested in a carpet cleaner.. I highly recomend them shoe or no shoe.)
The reason I don't let it bother me is for multiple reasons. 1- It such a pain to get everyone's shoes on and off every time one walks thru the door. Including guest. ( and it takes longer for them to LEAVE!) 2- The dog... I can't even imagine what it tracks in with it paws. And they are often dirty.( worse then a kid!) The baby thing I completely get..simply because.. EWWW! but you just have to grimace and pray that they don't make themselves sick sometimes.( and clean carpets.. often.)

I'll take my shoes off at your house, no problem!
Anonymous said…
I am totally laughing! And we are for sure still friends. I think that it's great that you are willing to share your thoughts. I feel pretty confident that most of have quirks that are comparable. I have no idea were the whole no shoes inside has transpired from. My grandmohther always told guests to leave their shoes on. I prefer shoes off, especially Colin because he's not always conscience of what shoes he's wearing in the house, ie work boots are a no go. And I still have little ones on the floor. However if someone leaves their shoes on and there not dirty than it doesn't really bother me.
Anonymous said…
My mum thought it was really strange how everyone took shoes off in houses when she moved here from England so maybe it is a Canada thing. She eventually switched to no shoes too but doesn't care too much. In the summer I don't mind shoes being kept on but in the Winter it's definately a no go but that goes with the wet gross dirty shoes that accompany a NS winter. When I lived in Ontario everyone took off their shoes too...must be a Canadian thing!!
Liz said…
I am still your friend! But when you come over, you MUST take your shoes off! It is a Canadian thing. Even when we lived in Calgary, everyone did it. People looked at us strangely when we were in Utah when we came to their house and took them off. That's the first time I found out that not everyone did it! I was amazed at how dirty their carpets were. I am not as controlling about it in the summer, but then again, we are outside in our bare feet. I also keep wet wipes by the door for those dirty feet that come in during that time.

Thanks for the chuckle, the more I read your posts, the more normal I feel.
Julie and Nate said…
I'm still in shock that people would actually put a purse on your table. Eww. Just the way I am... if I walk in someone's house, I take off my shoes and leave my purse there with my shoes. It seems curteous to me.
Anyway, we all have our things that we're picky about and if people can't love us for that, then too bad for them!
So funny! I grew up in a no shoes home. But, I am a total germaphobe and one day I read a really gross article in Better Homes and Garden specifically about all the billions of germs your shoes carry (like stepping in dog crap) and then walking on your carpet, it just totally grossed me out and I too thought about kids crawling in possible dog poo and who knows what else????? So, I don't allow shoes in my house. But, I have come to the realization that not everyone is considerate enough to ask when they enter, and it's awkward to say "Wait, don't step on my carpet with your poo infested shoes." Maybe I should make a cute sign too, nicely asking people to remove thier shoes :O)
Christy Jones said…
You need not worry, everyone has strange things about them, I really don't find you odd as I am married to a germaphope, he drives me a bit crazy sometimes but I love him for it too. I grew up in a Home where we wore shoes inside the house and I never thought twice about it, till I met Ryan. He served a mission in Tiwan and has never worn shoes in the house again. When we got married I adopted the practice and we have stuck with it. Its more important to him than me. When we lived in BC everyone there took off their shoes outiside the door so I am pretty sure its a Canadian thing. Its automatic for us to remove our shoes, even our kids.
Kristi Drennan said…
Ha ha ha! I love it! It's definitely a Canadian-wide thing. I'm not sure why or how it originated but I know that when I was growing up it was for all those reasons that you said you continued to do it when you moved back. I know many people wash the paws off of their dog too. But you have to realize and remember Canadian weather. ALL of Canada has all four seasons and for a loooong time. MESSY! I'm of the mind set that...why would I make my whole house a mess with dirt and germs on my floor?? I don't want to spend my time cleaning it up! It's weird...I've gone into places where they say not to take my shoes off and I had to take them off anyway....it just doesn't feel right. I think I just feel like...outside life has too many unknowns. I was shocked when I went to the U.S. and no one took their shoes off! I read in a Dr.Oz book that he says one key to optimum health is to take your shoes off because you avoid so many nasy germs and infections that way. I mean...dogs poop and people clean it up outside...does that mean you won't step in the spot they had done their deed?? Still poop germs there! I could go on forever! I love your little rants!
Princess Lisa said…
I absolutely agree. I hate when people wear their shoes around the house. I wear socks or go barefoot and I hate thinking of all of the germs on the floor! Yuck!

I'm with you!!!
Channynba said…
I love the no shoe rule...
I wish I could do it here in Mexcio, but with all the nasty bugs and the dirt that is around, I just take off my shoes and replace them with my inside flip flops.
Soto family said…
I agree with you about the germs and stuff, but, on the other hand, I just imagine having party and making everyone take of their shoes, and EEEEWWWWWW I can smell the feet sweat from here! YUCK! I'd rather clean the carpets, myself. My husband's friends and co-worker's stop by and we always invite them in and I do check out their yucky work boots, but, I also imagine the moist, sweaty, nasty smelling feet that's occupying those boots and I say "no, no, don't take off your shoes...." I figure I'll just clean the carpets later. Plus, my kids are old enough that they shouldn't be crawling around on the floor, or eating off of it for that matter! LOL! But I'll still take off my shoes at your house, just beware of the smell. :)
Nat said…
We live in a no shoe home. That is how I grew up. My boys will automatically take off their shoes, it is habit. It think it makes life that much easier :) You are hilarious! All of your reasoning does strengthen my belief in a no shoe policy.

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Bogger Messed Up My Give Away