Treasure Hunt
Today was the big day. We told the kids about our upcoming trip to Disneyland. Thank you for all the great ideas of how to spill the news to the munchkins. I was inspired by them and took bits and pieces to put together what I wanted.
We had a treasure hunt. I enlisted the help of some of our neighbors and took clues and puzzle pieces to their houses earlier in the day. Before the kids could receive their clue and puzzle piece, they had to answer a gospel/church related question. After giving the correct answer, they were given an envelope containing a puzzle piece and a clue to decipher that would then lead them to the next house. Here are a couple of examples: Our bishop lives next door to the church, which is across the street from our house. The clue said:
"The next [puzzle] piece is with the father of our ward, He lives next to the house of the Lord."
We have some other neighbors that have a red front door and their last name is Moore. "A white house with a red Doore, Is where you will find one puzzle piece Moore." Some of our clues were a bit corny and some didn't flow too well, but it worked.
Some examples of the questions the kids had to answer were: "What was the name of the evil king who put Abinadi in prison?" (King Noah) "What are the names of the Bishop's counselors?" "What was the name of King Noah's priest who listened to Abinadi and became a great prohpet?" (Alma) (We've been reading about Abinadi in our family scripture study.) The kids had a great time running around the neighborhood. Their last clue sent them home, where they spread the puzzle pieces on the floor and set to work.
It took a minute for the kids to figure out what they were looking at and then another minute for it to register that thats where they're headed. On Wednesday. Then the celebrating started. (We got this whole process on video, but it's too big to post, so you'll have to settle for pictures and just imagine the noise.)

The kids are so excited but so am I. I've been telling Brent how excited I am for the past few days. He just kind of rolls his eyes and says, "You're more excited than the kids will be." He just might be right. Of course, I'm not excited for myself, I'm excited for the kids, they've been wanting to go to Disneyland for a long time. And they're absolutely thrilled that they get to miss school.
We had a treasure hunt. I enlisted the help of some of our neighbors and took clues and puzzle pieces to their houses earlier in the day. Before the kids could receive their clue and puzzle piece, they had to answer a gospel/church related question. After giving the correct answer, they were given an envelope containing a puzzle piece and a clue to decipher that would then lead them to the next house. Here are a couple of examples: Our bishop lives next door to the church, which is across the street from our house. The clue said:
"The next [puzzle] piece is with the father of our ward, He lives next to the house of the Lord."
We have some other neighbors that have a red front door and their last name is Moore. "A white house with a red Doore, Is where you will find one puzzle piece Moore." Some of our clues were a bit corny and some didn't flow too well, but it worked.
Some examples of the questions the kids had to answer were: "What was the name of the evil king who put Abinadi in prison?" (King Noah) "What are the names of the Bishop's counselors?" "What was the name of King Noah's priest who listened to Abinadi and became a great prohpet?" (Alma) (We've been reading about Abinadi in our family scripture study.) The kids had a great time running around the neighborhood. Their last clue sent them home, where they spread the puzzle pieces on the floor and set to work.
It took a minute for the kids to figure out what they were looking at and then another minute for it to register that thats where they're headed. On Wednesday. Then the celebrating started. (We got this whole process on video, but it's too big to post, so you'll have to settle for pictures and just imagine the noise.)
The kids are so excited but so am I. I've been telling Brent how excited I am for the past few days. He just kind of rolls his eyes and says, "You're more excited than the kids will be." He just might be right. Of course, I'm not excited for myself, I'm excited for the kids, they've been wanting to go to Disneyland for a long time. And they're absolutely thrilled that they get to miss school.
Comments
Hope you all have fun!
P.S. Double thanks for all the birthday wishes!!
I'm excited for them!!! Now if only wedsday can get here! I hope you guys have a great trip!
I bet no one sleeps tues night.:) I wouldn't!
HAVE FUN!!!
Have fun in Disneyland. I am jealous.