In A Rut

Well, its been over a week since my last post and I'm sure you're all wondering what has happened to me that has forced me not to blog. The answer is, nothing has happened, I just can't think of anything to write about. Which is very unusual for me because its not very often that I can't think of something to say. Life at our house is pretty quiet right now (knock on wood) so there isn't anything to report. But, alas, here I sit at 2:30 in the morning and I'm forcing myself to blog. I have no idea what the end product of this post will be, I'll just let my fingers do the talking so I'm sure it will be pretty random.

Why am I up at 2:30 in the morning? I can't sleep. My allergies are killing me and nothing works to alleviate the symptoms. I woke up around 1 because I was sneezing and had a stuffy, itchy nose and an itchy mouth and itchy eyes. I've got a feeling this is going to be a horrible allergy season. That leads me wonder, WHY do I live where I live? I absolutely HATE the cold winters and the snow and I have a love/hate relationship with Spring. So happy to have the warm weather and sunshine but I dread the 2 - 2 1/2 months of Hayfever. Let me just say that Diet Dew will be my best friend tomorrow, or rather, later today.

Let's see....yesterday I stood up my visiting teachers. Not on purpose, I had every intention of being home when they arrived yesterday afternoon. I had their visit noted on my calendar and even thought about it several times yesterday morning. Then, I went to lunch at a friend's house and decided to go grocery shopping because I was already in North Logan and it would save me a trip today so I completely spaced the VTs and went to Wal-Mart. I didn't even remember until about 6:00 last night when one of them called to say they missed me. I felt really bad...and embarrassed. I apologized and insisted they could just skip me this month since it was my fault, but nope, they're coming at 10 today. I know I'll be home, but will I be awake and alert? I'll probably just sit on the couch sipping my Dew while they try to enlighten me.

We've been going to church at 1:00 this year but we get to switch to 9:00 this week. I'm SOOO excited. I feel like the whole day is wasted when we go later. There were 3 wards in our building and a new Stake Center was dedicated last week so one of the other wards is moving to the new building. This was all supposed to happen in March, but you know how Mormons are with deadlines.

The Panda Run is on Saturday. Every year the elementary school hosts a fun run as a fundraiser. (The school mascot is the panda.) We've always made it a family event but I was so irritated with the dumb, bossy, unorganized, clueless race director last year, I was going to skip it this year. But, about 2 weeks ago one of the girls brought up the subject and Brent started talking about it and how we were all going to go run. (Who are you and what have you done with my husband?) So, we're going but I'm not running. I'll take my turn sitting on the sidelines with Damon, rather than defend my championship title (I've won the women's 5K the last 2 years) while Brent and Brittany race each other and Brooklyn tries really hard to NOT go the wrong way. As for Brent and Brittany, there may actually be some competition between them this year (they run the mile). Brent has made some drastic lifestyle changes over the past year and Brittany is training for the Wellsville Mile so she's been running a mile every day at school and shaving of time each day. It'll be fun to watch.

Wellsville Mile. This event was started 20-something years ago. All the 4th and 5th graders in the south end of the valley get to go out to Wellsville each year and run a mile-long race. Its a pretty big event and the teachers have the kids train for it. Since the weather has been nice, the kids are out running a mile each day to prepare. Last night at dinner Brittany was telling us her times for this week. She started the week with 11-something minutes, dropped down to a high 10 the next day, low 10 the following day and yesterday she ran a 9:40. I wish they would have done something like this for the kids in the north end of the valley when I was in elementary school.

I'm giving up candy for Lent. Not really, because I'm not Catholic and I don't even know when Lent is, although I do know I've missed it for this year, but I'm trying to stop eating so much junk. You know how the experts say not to deprive yourself of something because it will just make you want it more? They say go ahead a have a few bites of cake or a few pieces of candy to curb the craving. Well, these experts don't love treats like I do. I am finding that I do better if I just avoid it all together rather than indulge a tiny bit because to me, there is no such thing as a "little bit". Once I start, I can't stop. So I'm trying not to start. I've done well this week but the weekend is coming and thats always where I falter. I'm just about going crazy as I try to make better choices about what goes into my mouth and I'm trying to convince myself that I don't NEED to eat constantly. I keep thinking that there is a "hump" I just need to get over and it will come if I just hang in there and then it will be a little easier. I'm pretty sure I just need to detoxify my body and get out of the habit of "grazing" all day long. I tell ya, bad habits die hard. I came across a quote the other day from President Joseph Fielding Smith. He said, "Habits are easily formed. It is just as easy to form good habits as it is to form evil ones." I'm not sure if this applies to junk food but I'm trying to keep these words in mind.

I've been sitting here for an hour. I'm starting to feel a little bit tired again but I don't really see the point of going back to bed because I'll just be getting up in another hour to head to the pool. Maybe I'll go do some laundry. But before I sign off, I'm curious, did anyone actually read this whole post?

Comments

Tamara Moses said…
I did. Tami, I absolutely love reading your blog! You are so inspiring. I know I haven't commented much (or maybe at all) but I look forward to new posts. I especially loved your post about how you got things so organized for your trip to Disney. Genius! I'm going to try that next time we travel. Keep the posts coming!
-Tamara
The Super Seven said…
i read it all too!! maybe you should come type up all the posts i need to blog about, i can't seem to do it with a baby attached to me.....it's making typing this even hard :)
Liz said…
Ok, so you don't know what to blog about and then you blog about all that is happening although you think nothing is happening -I love you.

Have you tried Quercetin for your allergies? http://www.immunesupport.com/92fal004.htm

We use it for Patrick. Best if started before the season, but last year we started him with it after the allergies already started and he didn't suffer as much. We still had to use some allergy meds, but not near as much as normal!

Grazing is better for your metabolism then eating meals only. That's what my drs and dietician tell me. Don't stop grazing.

It takes 5 days to get over the hump of going without. You have go through withdrawals first. Good luck. Rand almost left me when I went through my sugar withdrawal 10 years ago. I'll be your sponsor.
Anonymous said…
Read every last word. Let me know how you do with the treats. I started treating myself when I was sick with Marley. I felt it was justified since I felt so terrible. But then when I felt better I justified it by being pregnant. Now I am still snacking all the time and craving treats. I have been trying to find healthy snacks, but they just aren't as good. Happy belated birthday. You could blog about your birthday.
Tami said…
Liz, will you really be my sponsor??? That may help. I know we should eat several small meals each day rather than 3 big ones but grazing on Junior Mints, M&Ms and cookies probably isn't what the experts meant. I guess I'm searching for balance. Five days,eh? If I can make it through the weekend I should be doing better.

I have not tried Quercetin. I may look into that, I can tell I'm going to be desperate this year.
Christy Jones said…
Ha, you should live here, we have great weather. Ryan like you used to suffer every allergy season and since we moved here they have disapeared! The up side of Utah for you though is family and cost of living, we don't have that. Good luck getting off the candy! I know you can do it, you are a very motivated person,anyone who is as diciplined as you are about exercise can rid herself of candy!!
Maggie Jane said…
I read it all as well. I think it's awesome you're getting your whole family into running and how much they seem to enjoy it. It's great your teaching your kids healthy habits so young! Sorry to hear about your allergies. It's not fun, I know. Keep the blogs coming even if you feel you don't have anything to write about, it's just fun keeping up with you!
Anonymous said…
i am the same way with treats...once I start that's the end of it...when I worked at Laura Secord (the chocolate store) I really had to make sure I didn't take a sample of anything otherwise I' end up totally pigging out. Hope that your allergies aren't too awful this season...heck the weather could be worse..it could be like it is here most of the time!!
Channynba said…
I read...and most of that stuff you mentioned. I have been there and done that.
I have been trying to get over my chocolate kick, to no avail.
I did.....you make me want to give up junk too...I am terrible with candy and a little just doesn't work for me either! I think I'll have to work on that, I really WANT to be better at eating healthier, sometimes it's just hard, thanks for the little push!
I read it, also. As for the "good choices" in what goes in your mouth, I think some people just crave certain things. After college, I gained 40 lbs from eating "BAD choice foods". I joined weight watchers, and lost the 40. It was VERY hard work. I never lost the cravings. I would actually pray for help to eat the right things. (My self-control isn't very high.) Since I've had my two boys, I've gained back about 20, and I don't know if I'll ever really get down to where I want. I say, as long as you keep up your working out, eat whatever the *&$% you want. I wish I had your motivation! Then I wouldn't have the 20 to loose!
Anonymous said…
so you did find something to write about after all...how fun though that it was at 2:30am hopefully someday Brent can start up a practice in Hawaii
Tarbet Times said…
Tami,

Yes, the usher was quite rude to us about the picture. The funny thing was that the person that took our picture for us had been taking tons for herself. And during the same time that we had ours taken, everyone else was doing the same thing. During intermission there was even more taking pictures and no one said a thing!!

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Parade

New House