My Rationale

Over the past couple of weeks I've learned that some of my friends have decided to delete their blogs. I'm sad about this, I love reading about the goings on in everyone's lives and seeing pictures of kids and all kinds of activities and adventures. Most of those authors have stated the reason of blog removal as being too time-consuming and they spend too much time on the computer which causes other things to be neglected. I've thought about this and it has made me evaluate myself and my own computer habits. Yes, I spend quite a bit of time on the computer, although not as much as I have in the past. Are there other things I could be doing? Of course. But, is blogging important? Yes, and here are my reasons for continuing to "waste" time at the computer:

Reason #1: We have been counseled time and time again to keep a personal and family history not only for ourselves but also for our posterity. Blogging is my way of recording my personal history and milestones and happenings within my family. I do not write in a journal. I did as I was growing up but after I got married I got busy and found myself writing less and less. I'm guessing its been a good year and a half since my last journal entry. (I know I should still keep a journal, if only to record the things that are too personal to make public to the blogging community but I'm not doing it right now so don't lecture me about it. There is a time and season for everything.)

Reason #2: Another justification for time spent blogging: My kids. Each of them love to sit at the computer and look through my blog. Brittany has read the entire thing, probably more than once. Brooklyn and Damon love to look at the pictures and watch the videos. They all love to see pictures of themselves on the computer and they love reading what I've written about them.

Reason #3: I have every intention of having my blog published into a real book, pictures included, at some point. Maybe I'll have a volume printed at the end of each year of that year's posts. Tell me thats not personal/family history!

Comments

Liz said…
Amen!

The exact same reasons that I blog. I, also, have found myself wasting too much time on the computer, but it was with surfing other blogs and sites and what not. I will keep my blog up because without it, there wouldn't be a record of my family and my thoughts and what not.

Keep it up.

I thought for a moment you were going to take yours down also. So glad you didn't. It's the one way I feel close to all my friends that are so far away.
Channynba said…
I too am a fan of blogging...I also want to make mine a book. It is a great way to keep family and friends update to date with what is going on in your life. This is the best and longest time I have keept up a journal. Life is always memories in the making.
Keep it up!!!!
Tarbet Times said…
I agree with you also. I have never been a journal writer but I am going to try to keep this up. I'm hoping that my other girls will start soon too.
Christy Jones said…
I agree,
Its a great way to journal but it also has a the wonderful use of keeping in contact with friends and family who are far away. I also love being able to express myself creativily through my blog. I have talked most of my family into it and am still working on a few of my friends.
Kellie said…
I totally agree... I'd never write so much in an actual journal...but at least with blogging (especially when you feel compelled to keep others up to date) I'm keeping track of my life a lot more than I would be otherwise.

I just need to get the entries printed off & stored somewhere :)
Amy Johnson said…
I agree as well! I would waste just as much time surfing other sites (and probably would end up shopping, thus putting us farther into debt!), so instead I blog and I love that I have so many random things posted that I probably wouldn't have put in my journal. I also keep a journal, but there are days when nothing dramatic has happened so I don't write, but for some reason I can post about nothing particular! Best of both worlds! Plus, I have been able to stay in touch with people that I normally wouldn't have had the time to visit with. When else would I ever be able to see your cute family and all the fun things you guys do??? Keep blogging!!! Sounds like some of your friends need to learn a little self discipline (sp) if you ask me!
Maggie Jane said…
Amen Sista Tami! I agree whole heartedly! I'm not good a "writing" in a paper journal and find it much easier to do so by blogging. Thanks for sharing this post!
Anonymous said…
You have gotten a lot of Amen! I too blog fro the same reason. I think it's great. And I think that it's good to have a little time to waste everyday. If we didn't we would constantly be thinking/worrying/doing domestic duties and probably taking little time for ourselves. What kind of life would that be! I think that it should be regarded as recharging ones sanity rather than wasting time. Don't ever delete your blog, I love reading it!
Kristi Drennan said…
Thank you!!

Glad you mentioned this. I blog for those same reasons but also...it keeps me sane and reading others keeps me sane. I've often felt really bumbed or uninspired to even get dressed and then I'll read someone's blog and feel pumped for life. I've gotten so much from reading everyone's and I've also really figured out a lot about myself because I blog myself. I also find if I'm just in a bad mood...I'll blog...and I'll feel better. AND I find when I talk to one of my friends that blogs...I am in the loop. Living scattered and blogging brings us together.

I even read in either LDS Living or the Ensign that blogging IS a PERFECT way of journalling. I also consider it a hobby!

I can't say enough about this! Ha ha ha! Thanks for not taking yours down. And if you ever feel like you're spending too much time doing it...then take a break for a week or so....there's no rule on how much you can or can not blog!

oh the passion I feel ha ha ha ha!

I think those that were rash and deleted are going to regret not having those memories if they haven't put them to print.
Princess Lisa said…
I'm with you on this one!

Everyone wastes time...it's a fact of life! I'd rather waste it on something I'll enjoy later...

Keep blogging. I insist.
Stacey Irwin said…
I agree with you 100 percent! I had the same Idea of doing a family "year book". and printing it up in a book. And since i don't scrap book it's a two birds one stone type thing for me.

I like blogs for multiple reasons.. one I get to see friends and family and what really seems to be on their mind. what the kids are up to. which is always good to be able to relate to.
yeah, it can be time consuming but so is everything else that is important and time worthy.
I think people feel guilty simply because they are in front of the computer. if it was done on paper or catching up in person they would think they time was justified and spent wisley.

I'm with you.. please don't ever stop blogging. i love reading yours!

you posted A lot this week.. I was only gone a week right?
Michele said…
I so agree. It has kept me going and kept my up to date on my favorite people...nudge nudge....! I just need to be more diligent.

I think I don't have time to blog? If I had to write it down there would be no story......

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Bogger Messed Up My Give Away