Pet Peeves: Kids in the Car

Note: This post may be offensive to some because I'm not going to sugar-coat my thoughts and I offer no apologies....consider yourself warned.

Every parent wants their kids to be safe at all times, especially when travelling. Society puts such great emphasis on child-safety in the car. When our kids are babies we go to such extremes to keep them safe. We buy rear-facing infant carseats and we make sure they are strapped in just right. Then we buy forward-facing carseats for our toddlers. After that we graduate to booster seats. We do all this to help ensure that our little ones will survive a traffic accident with little or no injury should we find ourselves in such an unfortunate situation. I don't know too many parents who do not take these precautions, not to mention, it is the law. But, what about when our kids outgrow the booster seat? Of course children need to be in seatbelts regardless of how big they are, but WHY are some parents dumb enough to think that if their kid is big enough not to sit in a booster seat then it is perfectly safe for them sit in the front seat of vehicle?

This absolutely drives me crazy! Sure, 25 years ago we all rode in the front seat, often times without wearing a seatbelt, and we all survived but times have changed. Our parents and grandparents didn't know any better, no one did. But now we do know, and yet there are still plenty of retarded parents out there that must figure the safety rules/laws don't apply to them, that they somehow have immunity. The front seat of a car is not an appropriate place for a child to sit. The American Academy of Pediatrics states, "Children who have outgrown their booster seats should ride in a lap and shoulder belt in the back seat until 13 years of age." AGE OF 13, people! Why do parents not get this? And why do they ignore it?

Brittany's Activity Days group is going on a little field trip tomorrow. One of the leaders stopped by this afternoon to get my signature on a permission slip so Brittany can attend. As the leader was leaving I said, "My kids are not allowed to sit in the front seat of the car so if there isn't room for everyone in the back and someone needs to sit in the front it can't be Brittany." The leader paused and said, "Oh really? Because my daughter (who is the exact same age as Brittany) always sits in the front." When she said this to me, what I was thinking was, "Well, I must love my kids more than you love yours." But what I said was, "Well, we don't let our kids sit in the front." I was really surprised that this other girl gets to sit in the front because her dad is a fire-fighter/EMT. Surely he's seen his fair share of car accidents in which kids were not properly restrained.

Anyway, this is such a simple thing. Serious injury can so easily be prevented. I hate hearing the excuse, "We're only going half a mile down the street so its okay if my kid sits in the front because its not very far." Does the fact that you're not going very far guarantee that you won't be in an accident? No. How about this one? "I'm being really careful when my kid is in the front." Great. You're being careful but what about the idiot on his cell phone that isn't paying attention or the stupid teenagers that drive too fast? You know, chances are you won't be in an accident BUT what if you are? Is it really worth the risk? If you have little kids, put them in a child-safety restraint appropriate for their age, weight and height. If you have a school-age kid, smarten up and keep them in the back seat and make sure they wear a lap AND shoulder belt and make sure they wear it properly. The above link to The American Academy of Pediatrics is a great resource if you're not sure what your child needs.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I totally agree with you. I have seen people I know not follow this law and it makes me so upset. There are so many things that we can't control and we should take every measure available to us to prevent situations. I have also heard statistic that the majority of vehicle accidents happen close to home. I say follow the law as annoying as it is to have to buy a billion carseats it way better than regret!
Julie and Nate said…
Good points! My pet peeve... school buses. It really bothers me that there are NO seatbelts. How are the kids safe in a seat with no seatbelts (let alone any type of restraint) and many kids per seat? Last year Kayson's bus had 4 kids per seat. Fortunately, enough of us complained, and now they only have 2-3 to a seat. It just doesn't seem safe to me.
Amy Johnson said…
I'm so glad you posted this! I call the cops AT LEAST once a week because I see parents riding with their kids ONE THEIR LAP! Seriously! I'm sure the cops are so sick of me calling, but it almost makes me cry to think that people are so careless with such precious cargo!!! A friend of mine is an EMT and he was telling me just the other day they had to respond to an accident where two brand new parents were driving home from the hospital bringing home their brand new baby. The baby wouldn't stop crying so the mom decided to hold her on her lap the rest of the way home. Car accident=baby flew through the window. It literally makes me want to puke!!! I could seriously punch that mom in the face! You have to pass a test to get a drivers license but they will let any idiot be a parent!!!!
Tarbet Times said…
I agree with you of course. As you may remember, this very type of accident happened to us with Jax, less than a mile down the road. Not only was it stupid and crazy on our part, it was the speeding teenager not paying attention that hit them. Please don't hate the dumb parents too much, if they had the accident, they already know that they were senseless and their actions are unforgivable. They will pay for this the rest of their lives.
Liz said…
Tami, I love you so much for posting this! You have no idea how much I agree with you. I was actually thinking of posting about this just the other day. Now, I am linking my post to yours. I hope you don't mind, but I posted a link on my facebook as well. Everyone needs to read this.
Stacey Irwin said…
They should just make cars with self adjusting, built in boosters that can weigh the person sitting there and it will adjust to make sure the seat belt fits properly. Both front and back. Big person and small person.
I hate dealing with car seats.

But what I hate more is seeing parents drive crazy while there children aren't even strapped down.
Do they really think they are invincible to any type of accident?
I think I will have to do what Lou does and call the cops everytime. Cause that is just crazy.

Tell you what I do hate tho' I hate that they keep raising the age and weight requirements as to when the kid can graduate from the booster and back seat. By the time my kids are even close I imagine the laws will be 15 and 120lbs... And I might just have to defy the law if that happens and with good conscience!

Way to protect your kids!
this was a good post~
Amen!! And don't you hate it when other parents say stupid things that make you question your way of parenting, it drives me CCCRRAAAZZYYY!!!!
Channynba said…
AMEN!!!!!
I feel the same way, and here in Mexico they have little newborns in the front seat, and it DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!! Why, what are they thinking, they are stupid.
maelsson said…
Hooray for this post. What many parents fail to understand is that children are not only more susceptible to injury during an accident when seated in the front, but the airbag itself can be fatal. Even low speed collisions can trigger the airbag, which can cause serious injury or death to children seated in the front.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! All of my husband's injuries from our car accident, were a result of only having a lap belt. I'm so tired of people using outdated car seats that aren't safe, and of course people putting their kids in the car with just the regular seat belt, when they aren't tall enough for that! The surgeons that worked on my husband said that 99.9% of the injuries like Kale's, are received by children since they're usually the ones in lap belts. Don't do it people!!!!
Brittany said…
Yikes! Sure I would totally like to be allowed to sit in the front. But I agree that it is dangerous. I also don't like it when I see people with 5 year olds in the front seat. I HAVE seen that before.

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Parade

New House