Self-induced Torture

Sometimes I get these wild hair-brained ideas that I just can't to seem to let go of; I must follow through on them. These ideas are usually somewhat painful and long and drawn-out, as my title suggests its a form of self-imposed torture. These tortuous ideas are home-improvement projects that I set out to accomplish and I usually hate the actual project but I love the finished results. Which is why, I suppose, I do this to myself.

I seem to have a short attention for home decor. Three years seems to be the upper limit of my threshold. Three years ago I painted my bedroom and added a new comforter, pillows, matching towels in the bathroom, wall decor, etc. Loved it when it was all done but I decided a few months ago I was tired of it and ready for a change. So, I'm in the process of re-doing all of that. Last year I took on the task of painting the kitchen, living room, computer room, and hallway. That was a HUGE project and was accompanied by many tears of frustration. In addition to all that painting, I decided I didn't like my baseboards or door mouldings so I ripped out all the old stuff and put new stuff in. By the time I was finished with the above mentioned rooms and my bedroom, I'd had enough. I put my extra supplies away and now, more than a year later, I finally decided it was time to finish the project. So I've spent the past week painting the extra upstairs bathroom, laundry room, TV room and I've replaced the baseboards and mouldings in each of those rooms. I've also repainted my bedroom and bathroom. I'm almost finished, just touch-ups and odds and ends to do and then I'll post before and after pictures.

I really HATE to paint. I hate it passionately! I hate the mess that comes with it, I hate that my other responsibilities get put on the back burner, I hate the way I only meet the very basic needs of my kids while the project is in progress, and I even hate that I feel like I really want something different. But I get to the point where I just can't stand what I'm looking at all the time and I give in and create a big project for myself. Its miserable. It consumes me and I can't focus on anything else until its done. Lucky for me, I have a very patient husband. The mess doesn't get to him, he's not bothered that other things around the house are neglected, and he does not care what colors I choose or how much money I spend on my projects. His ONLY requirement is that he does not have to help in any way. It really is better this way. I can do things the way I want and use the colors I want since it makes no difference to him. On the flip side of this, every one of my kids have asked this past week, "Why are you painting everything?" And when I picked Damon up from speech today he said, "I don't want you to ever paint anything ever again."

Now that I'm done with the main part of the project, I'm swearing up and down that I will never do this again. It wouldn't be so bad if I could just pick one room, but no, I have to do the whole darn house. So please, if in 2 or 3 years (or sooner) I decide I need to do another complete home-makeover, someone slap me and don't let me do it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I can completely relate, except instead of renovating I just opt for an entire new house; craziness!
Christy Jones said…
I love to paint! My dad loved to paint so I offten did it with him! I havn't been able to do it in 5 years and since we don't own our home I am limited when It comes to creativity. If I had lived close by I would have willingly helped you with this project! I can't wait to see pictures!!
Tarbet Times said…
I always painted everything, hung everything, etc. Brooks could care less about colors or furniture or any of that stuff. When we did this last remodel, I refuse to paint again. So we hired it done, it was expensive but worth it.

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Bogger Messed Up My Give Away