Running Shoes

Since running is one of my passions, I thought I'd write a post about what I wear on my feet when I'm pounding the pavement. Some people collect things like stamps or coins or Hummel figurines. I collect running shoes.



First of all, I'm really not hoarding shoes and I don't have a shoe-buying addiction. All but the two pairs on the right are "retired". Every once in a while someone will ask me what kind of running shoes I would recommend. This is my soapbox on running shoes:

First of all, everyone is different and one brand or type of shoe is not best for everyone. Just because I love a certain brand doesn't mean you will. My best advice is to first determine the type of shoe you need and then try on a bunch of different brands and see what feels good.

There are 3 different types of shoe (well, there are more than 3 types of shoes, but we aren't going to get into the racing and competition shoes in this post.): Neutral, for those really lucky people out there with no anatomical anomalies, or normal pronators. Stability shoes are most often used by people who have mild to moderate pronation, I fit into this group. (Pronation is when the ankle and inner part of the foot roll too far inward after impact --15% is normal, so more than that). The third type of shoe is motion control. These shoes are often worn by people with severe pronation. Sometimes heavier runners prefer motion control shoes because they tend to provide a little more support. Click here to find out more about different shoe types and how to tell what kind of shoe you need.

So after you know what type of shoe you need, get on line and go to a website such as runningwarehouse.com and learn which styles are your shoe type (i.e. Omni Progrid made by Saucony or GT 2130 made by Asics). This step will save you a lot of time and hassle at the store, especially if you end up talking to a clueless clerk. So, you're probably wondering, why not just buy them online and save a trip to the store? Because, if you're considering a shoe you've never tried before, you'll want to see how it feels before you buy it and you'll want to compare different shoes. Take note of online prices and compare them to the store prices. If its cheaper online, buy online after you've tried stuff on at the store. Running Warehouse often offers free shipping. Runningcenters.com is another good website to buy from.

When you go to the store remember to wear the type of socks you'll be wearing when you run so you get an accurate idea of how the shoe is going to fit. Here is a tip for the store: If you go shoe shopping and the clerk recommends the kind of shoe he/she wears, LEAVE!!! Seriously, that person does not know enough to help you make an informed decision. You'll be better off trying to figure it out by yourself.

Here is something else to keep in mind; a lot of people have the mindset that a pair of shoes has to be "broken-in". That may be the case for your casual or dress shoes or even your sandals but it is totally false where running shoes are concerned. If you have the correct type of shoe and the proper fit, especially if its a shoe you've bought before, they don't need to be broken-in. Just start running in them. However, I wouldn't buy a new pair of shoes and head straight for the start line of a marathon. Do a few short runs just to make sure the shoe doesn't have a flaw that's going to give you blisters or something like that. If you find that you do have to break-in your new shoes, you probably need a different kind. Also keep in mind that if you're new to running, you may get some sore spots on your feet even with perfect shoes because you haven't built up the callouses yet.

So that's pretty much my soapbox on shopping for running shoes. I'm sure you're all just dying to know what my favorites are (I'm being sarcastic, but if this is really the case for you, you need to get out more.) so I'll tell you. I run in 2 different brands: Asics and Saucony. I've found what works for me and I won't even consider trying anything else. I'll tell you why I like them. Asics (in my opinion) offers incredible support and cushioning, and it corrects my over-pronation, its perfect for me. Saucony has a wider toe box, which is nice if you tend to wear thicker socks or if you have fat toes. Saucony is also very well ventilated. I can feel the air ciruculating between my toes when I'm wearing Saucony. This is not such a good thing in the winter when its cold, so I don't wear Saucony in the winter when I run outside. If I had to choose my most favorite, I'd pick Asics. Remember, just because they work for me doesn't mean they'll work for you. Personally, I don't like Nike or New Balance. Nike shoes seem too narrow and squishy for me and I had a bad experience with New Balance. But again, just because I don't like them doesn't mean you won't love them. I have a friend that really likes Brooks and Mizuno is supposed to be good, too, although I hear you don't get as many miles out of a Mizuno shoe as you would something else.

Maybe now you're wondering (do you really not have anything better to do?) why I have so many pairs of running shoes, since I insist I'm not a shoe addict. I'll tell you. As I mentioned, all but two pairs are retired. I always have two pair of active-duty shoes. I rotate my shoes, wearing one pair one day and the next pair the next day. I have several reasons for doing this but I won't go into that here. My newest pair, I've had for just a couple of weeks, they have less than 100 miles on them. The other active duty pair has less than 250 miles so I shouldn't have to buy more until the end of the summer. Are you wondering why I keep the shoes after they've been retired? Mostly just for fun. Although, they're actually still good shoes, just not good for running. So I hang on to them and wear them when I work in the yard or around the house. They're even good enough for hiking, just not running. Here's another tip: Reserve your running shoes for running only! Don't wear them to go shopping or to play outside with the kids, etc. They'll last longer if you only run in them. That's why some of my retired shoes look almost brand new.

How do I know when I need new shoes? I keep a shoe calendar and keep track of my mileage. A shoe store will tell you that you need to get new shoes every 250-300 miles. Of course they're going to tell you that, they make more money that way. Ultimately, I let my body decide when my shoes are finished. When I start to "feel it" in my knees or ankles after a run, that's a good indicator that my shoes are approaching their maximum. So, maybe you're wondering why I bother keeping track of the mileage? Because if I can't get at least 300 miles out of a pair of shoes, that tells me it wasn't a very good shoe and to get something else next time. For me, I get 500-600 miles per pair of shoes, every retired shoe in my picture travelled at least 500 miles and a couple of those pairs got closer to 600. So I know I've chosen great shoes for me.

So if you're new to running or you're thinking about starting to run, spend the time and the money and get a good pair of shoes. Speaking from experience, it is not worth the risk of an injury to run in anything but the best for you.

Most people get holes in the soles of their shoes when the shoe is really worn, but not me. I get a hole in the top of my shoe, and only the left one over my big toe. I must flex toe my funny when I run because it rubs right through the mesh. This shoe is the worst, but what a good pair these were! I think I logged more miles with these than with any other pair.


Now that you know all about my shoes, go find something better to do.

Comments

Tarbet Times said…
Great post Tami, I have a pair of Mizuno's that I love for walking, probably because they are so light weight. I've wondered how well they hold up. Brooks has a pair of Brooks. He uses them off and on and I guess he likes them. He got them because he has really wide feed with big ol bunnions.
Channynba said…
I am a nike girl, and I am just starting out jogging. I am quite liking it, Oscar and I go about four times a week and jog for an hour...of course for me just starting out, out of the hour that we do it I think I only jog for about 20 minutes. But I am enjoying it a lot.
Christy Jones said…
Interesting post! I have a question for you. I retired my old running shoes after the mud run for obvious purposes an went out to a store called Road runner, they analize your foot and give you inserts, They told me I needed Stabilizer shoes because my feet turn inward when I run. I was so excited to finally have new shoes, I had gone a whole week without running and was missing it. The very next day I went for a run. Only one and a half miles and came home with a very sore back, that still hurts. I was ready to take my shoes back and get the other pair I tried on but ryan said I hadn't broken in my shoes and that was why my back hurt so much. I have another race only a 5k on the 4th but havn't been able to run because of my back. Would you take back the shoes?
Stacey Irwin said…
AMEN AND HALLELULJAH SISTAH! while my running days have been more of a past time. I completely agree with you. I miss the store in the mall where a true runner actually WORKED there. And since he was a serious runner he was an advocate of finding the right shoe for the job. Now I just look like an idiot jogging up and down the aisle with two different shoes on.( and ignore the dumb A who thinks he knows my feet and what shoe I need.. I mean I know I don't look Like a girl who's even owned a pair of running shoes... but really?)
I too am a big Asics fan. There are my number one choice. Saucony are second. I don't even consider a nike EVER not even for casual wear. ( too narrow and too much arch suuport for my wide flat feet.)
Admittedly you have way more shoes then I have ever had.( course you run more miles in a day then I do in a year.. how sad is that.)
But I am a firm believer in finding a good pair of running shoes evwn die ua pansy wannabe's.
oh I get a hole in my toe area too!!
Love your post! Makes me wanna go buy a new pair of Asics and attempt to run.( see me panting and wheezing after a quarter of a mile.)Pathetic. I need you here to get my butt back in gear!
Tami - Great post! You are my running hero. I'm about to go buy an awesome pair here for my birthday. I like the Saucony kind from the pictures. I'll let you know what I get.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm STILL shopping for shoes that aren't killing my feet. Since I'm just starting "attempting" to run, it's been hard. My problem, is that my feet roll to the outside. Thanks for all the helpful info.!

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Parade

New House