Wasatch Back 2009

Another race has come and gone. The Wasatch Back is one of my most favorite events and it took place June 19 and 20. This was my 3rd time competing in this event and I plan on going back for more next year. For those of you that don't know what the Wasatch Back is, I'll explain. The Wasatch Back is a race owned by the Ragnar Relay company. This company puts on 24-hour relay races across the country. Most teams consist of 12 runners divided into two groups of six. The race starts at Merlin Olsen Park in Logan and we run the back side of the Wasatch mountains to Park City; 188 miles. Each team member runs 3 legs in a rotating order. The mileage of each leg varies between 2.6 miles and 9.6 miles and we cover some pretty intense terrain. There is one runner from each team on the course at all times until the team crosses the finish line. Whenever I explain this race to someone I always get the question, "What about in the middle of the night? Does someone run then?" The answer is yes. We run around the clock. My favorite leg has always been the one that I run at 2 in the morning. Runners are required to wear headlamps and reflective vests when running in the dark.

The tag line for Ragnar Relays is "Run. Drive. Sleep? Repeat." This the way the rotation works: The first six runners are in van 1 and while they each run their first legs, the other six runners, in van 2, have "off" time. During the "off" time the van must arrive at the next exchange and be ready for the hand-off from the "on" van. Also during "off" time the runners may (but probably won't) have opportunity to sleep/rest, shower and eat. There are many venues along the course that provide some of these amenities. Runners take along sleeping bags and pillows in case there's a chance to crash somewhere for a little bit.

This race really tests one's physical limits. You literally spend more than 24 straight hours in very close proximity with at least 5 other people. You don't sleep, other than little cat naps here and there. I think thats what makes it as difficult as it is, you just don't get rest and you're going on adrenaline and endorphins. Its also hard to eat properly because we run at such odd hours and our bodies aren't used to such a crazy schedule.

A lot of people think this is just an insane event (my husband included) and wonder why anyone would want to put themselves through such torture. I guess I don't really have a good answer other than I love the challenge and its just my idea of fun, me and 7000 other people. (No, thats not a typo, there were 650 teams this year, approximately 7000 runners. Add to that number all the volunteers, race officials, vendors, medical personnel, and police support and the number is closer to 9000.)

This is our team at the starting line before the race began. Teams are assigned specific start times depending on their average speed. Groups of teams start at 15-minute intervals throughout the day beginning at 7am. The last and fastest teams start at 5pm.


The "Saints and Sinners" team from Las Vegas brought team mascots: Elvis and a Las Vegas show girl.


Damon and Brooky took turns with the camera at the start line. Not sure which of them took this picture of me, probably Damon because he kept telling me to smile.


This is me running my fist leg. It was hot, about 82-degrees, but thats actually much cooler than in years past. The first year I ran it was 98-degrees during my first leg. I could feel the heat from the pavement coming up through the soles of my shoes.


This course is so scenic. If I remember correctly, these pics were taken at the top of Snow Basin.



I was in van 2. Theses are the runners in van 2, minus the one that was actually running at the time.

Comments

Liz said…
YOU ROCK!!!! That's all I have to say.
Christy Jones said…
Seems intense! I am glad you enjoyed it! I like my sleep to much to do a race like that.

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Parade

New House