Yellowstone

WARNING: LONG post with TONS of pictures.

We decided to kick off the summer with a road trip. At first we had planned to head south to Four Corners. Then, four days before we were supposed to leave, we changed our minds and decided to head north to Yellowstone. We loaded up the car last Friday morning, June 5 and began the four-hour drive.


Our kids travel remarkably well. I made the executive decision that for this trip there would be no DVDs or video games; we were going to travel the old-fashioned way with paper and pencils and books for entertainment. Overall, I think there was less quarreling. I have noticed over time that my kids tend to pick fights more easily when they've spent hours staring at screens. Thats why I eliminated the techno gadgets, except for MP3 players and headphones.

When we arrived in West Yellowstone, Montana, we checked into our hotel and headed to the Museum and Visitor's Center.

Brent decided to have a little fun with the buffalo.


Old Snaggletooth, the grizzly bear.


After dinner Brent showed the kids how to skip rocks. I think this "pond" was actually a giant puddle leftover from earlier rainstorms. (Okay, there is supposed to be video here, but it must be too big for blogger because it won't upload.)

The next morning we loaded everthing back into and on top of the car...
...and headed for the park. We drove about half of the Lower Loop.

Family picture at Midway Geyser Basin

The weather was not the best, it was pretty cold which caused a lot of steam at the geysers. As we drove toward Old Faithful, we could see the steam coming from it.
It was hard to tell what's water and what's steam when the geyser erupted.


Damon forgot his camera so Brent let him take some pictures with his camera. While at Old Faithful Brent and I asked Damon to take a picture of us together. After he snapped the picture we asked if he got it. He answered, "Yeah. Well, I got Mommy." This elk was right on the side of the road eating. This crow was just standing on the roof of this car. We were parked right next to and the bird didn't seem to mind at all.

We saw lots of buffalo on this trip. As we headed out of the park, there was a single buffalo walking straight down the middle of the road. It took a few minutes to get past him because each time a car would try to go around him, he would venture toward that side of the road.


Our original plan for this trip was to stay in a hotel Friday night, which we did, and then on Saturday if things were going well and we wanted to stay another day, we would camp. We packed a tent and sleeping bags but with the rain and colder temperatures we decided to head for home. (I don't do well with cold.) It poured on us almost the entire trip home. Every time we'd get ahead of the clouds, they'd catch up again.


We really had a good time. It was great to be out with nature and admire and even stand in awe of God's creations. Kind of makes me realize how insignificant we are.

Comments

Channynba said…
WoW!!! that was a long post, but I loved reading every bit of it. Your vacation looked like it was so much fun. The pictures were awesome. I want to go there now. I was there when I was a little kid, like 7 or 8. But I still remember loving it back then.
Christy Jones said…
I am sooo jealous!!! I worked in West Yellowstone for two summers when I was at Ricks and loved it!!!! I desperately want to take the kids there and show them around.
Julie and Nate said…
Hey, that is our vacation plan this year too! We're just not sure when we're going to take it because Nate has to finish building our camp trailor (another one of his crazy projects). I'm glad you had fun!
Lis Drage said…
I laughed at the picture on brent with his head in the buffalo. Obviously he hasn't changed any. And the picture where he is loading up the car actually looks like you strapped him up there for a quieter ride home! And the one Damon took made me laugh...it's not his fault Brent is so tall! Looks like you had a fun time. You would be great advertising for the park. I want to go there now!
The Full Nelson said…
great pictures! Sounds like a really cool place to go!!
Liz said…
Loved the pics! I am going to be stealing ideas from you for our trip next month. Looks you guys had a great time.
I have always wanted to do that but it has never happed!!! That trip sounded fun!!
Stacey Irwin said…
Aww. I can smell of the "rotten eggs" grom here! ( that's what the sulfer alwsys reminded me of.)
I so miss yellowstone. That is where most of our family vacations were at! Sucks that it poured and was cold the whole time. But It sounds like you guys had a good time. Loved the pictures! Laughed hysterically at brent's head up the Bull's.. well you know.. SHowed Paul and said we so need to get to know him!
Karlee said…
Hi Tami, I figure this is a good way to get in touch with you. A bunch of us want to try to have a little Dal get together in July. Will you e-mail me your e-mail address so I can send you the e-mail?? karleeallred@hotmail.com

Your kids are getting so big! They are beautiful! I wouldn't even recognize your little boy. Last I saw him he was doing that silly bum scooch crawl! Have you guys been out for four years now? Wow! You and Brent look great too!
Anonymous said…
Wow! What a fun trip. I love Yellowstone.
Maggie Jane said…
How fun! Yellowstone is my most favorite place on earth! I miss living there so much! I'm glad you guys had such a good time.
Princess Lisa said…
That was so awesome, Tami! I loved the pics!!!

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Parade

New House