Lost in Translation

Those of you that know Damon and have or have had conversations with him know that he has a pretty severe speech impairment. He was born with a tongue-tie, which contributed to the problem, but Brent fixed that about a year and a half ago. Damon has been in speech therapy for over a year now and is doing really well but he still has a long way to go. Damon is aware that people have a difficult time understanding him, which is heart-breaking for me. Damon speaks in complete sentences but doesn't always use proper grammar and some of his sounds are jumbled and incomplete. I can understand almost all of what he says, but sometimes its hard and other times, I just don't get it.

Last night I took Brooky and Damon to the park (Brittany is at Diabetes Camp.) Today Brooky spent the day at Grandma Audrey's so it was just Damon and me. We went miniature golfing and went to the same park we went to last night for a picnic lunch. During lunch Damon made a comment and my response was, "Oh, thats really gross." He then gave me a very strange look and asked, "What do you think I just said?" What I translated was this: "Last night I saw some people that peed their pants." Damon started laughing and repeated his earlier comment. I finally got it right. What he said was: "Last night I saw some people that were speaking Spanish."

Comments

The Full Nelson said…
haha too cute! At least he saw the humour in it!
Christy Jones said…
What a kid! Love that he finds humor in it! Speach impediments can be tricky.
Anonymous said…
So cute that he found it funny! He is suc a cute little boy! And I can see where you could get that out of what he said.
Stacey Irwin said…
LOL! That's awesome! speaking spanish, peed their pants. . I could see where that could have gotten confusing! at least it made him laugh!
Ethan is in speach as well,my family is barely starting to understand him( they confuse him with zoey alot.)
Define tongue tie for me? I don't know if I have heard of that. My friends girl has to get her tongue clipped since it's unable to touch the roof of her mouth.( I think of that lil piece of skin on bottom as a being a short leash for her.)
But it's not that is it?
Kristi Drennan said…
beyond awesome! what a cute kid! I bet he was getting a kick out of you trying to figure it out!
Liz said…
Oh you had me laughing out loud! That is too funny! He has a great self esteem to be able to laugh at himself like that. Glad it all got worked out.

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Parade

New House