Yield Signs

To: The two idiots out there that almost hit me:

Dear Idiots,

This is a yield sign:

What? You don't know what a yield sign means? Well, I'll tell you. A yield sign assigns the right-of-way at an intersection where a complete stop is not normally required. What? This definition is too complex for you? Okay, I'll simplify. This means that if you are approaching an intersection and you see a yield sign at the corner on your right you must STOP if I (or someone else) am approaching the intersection perpendicular (you know what perpendicular means, right?) to you and let me pass in front of you because that yield sign you see on the corner at your right means that I have the right-of-way. Do you get it now? I sure hope so because your stupidity could have caused some serious damage and personal injury.

And no, yield signs are not a new thing; they've been around since 1954. They used to be solid yellow but in 1971 they were changed to red and white. Since you didn't look that old, you should have learned about yield signs when you took driver's ed. You did take driver's ed., didn't you? You do have a valid driver's licence, right?

I really hope you have full-coverage insurance in case you didn't learn your lesson the other day.

Sincerely,
Tami

p.s. As you should recall, you were driving in a residential area. The speed limit in a residential area is 25 mph, not 125. You should slow down.

On Wednesday afternoon I was driving home after picking Damon up from speech. I was headed southbound on 100 west in Providence. Its a straight shot from 100 north to 400 south without stop signs or yield signs on 1st west. So there I was, driving along, minding my own business when I approach an intersection and this white van, headed west, runs his yield sign. I slammed on my brakes and laid on the horn. He realized his error in time and managed to stop. He waved an apology at me and I continued home.

Fast forward to Thursday afternoon. I had just dropped Damon off at speech and was headed home southbound on 100 west. As I was approaching an intersection (not the same one as Wednesday) the previous day's incident popped into my mind just as a brown van headed east ran her yield sign (driving way too fast). I slammed on my brakes and started honking my horn but it took a few seconds for her to stop. I had to swerve severely to avoid a collision. If she had hit me the impact would have been exactly where Damon would have been sitting had he been with me. Its also a good thing there wasn't some kid on a bike or a pedestrian crossing because I would have hit them when I swerved. Anyway, the driver recognized that it was her fault and rolled down her window and profusely apologized. I accepted her apology, asked if she was okay and continued home. Seriously, what are the odds this would happen to me on two consecutive days?

Comments

Stacey Irwin said…
Okay laughing at your letter, Not so much of what actually happened! I know we all have our stupid moments in the car. But I think people are abusing the rules of driving all together, I won't get started what a Red LIGHT means. ( i'm pretty sure it doesn't mean speed thru and call it PINK) Not even the light system seems to apply to some drivers.
SOOO glad you got out of both incidents with out injury to both you and your kid and Your car.
Wierd it happened twice, Hopefully those two drivers will look a lil closer at the Yield sign.
So scary, good luck, be safe.
Tarbet Times said…
I really, really agree with you. I wish that we had more round-abouts here, of course no one would understand how to use them either. I glad that you didn't get hit! A close call is always good for a wake up but it happens way too often these days.
Anonymous said…
I love your blog and bascailly love you! Sorry for your driving incidents but grateful for your post material; I am still laughing!
Perhaps you might want to take a few days and stay off the road.
Amy Johnson said…
Maybe you should just make sure to avoid all vans! :)

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Parade

New House