Should I Worry?
If you have a son over the age of 5, you are qualified to respond to this post.
I hope this is a phase. I hope its normal, but I'm just not sure. Damon is five and seems to be acquiring an interest in, ummm, womanly things. Last week the kids and I were at Wal-Mart. The girls were trying on some outfits and the only fitting rooms in the store are right smack in the middle of the women's intimates section. You know, underwear, bras, body suits, pantyhose, etc. Brittany had finished trying her clothes on and we were waiting for Brooky (she took FOREVER!) when I hear Brittany getting upset with Damon. Thinking it was just another case of big-sister-bosses-little-brother, I went to investigate and play referee. For once Brittany had a legitimate excuse to be irritated. Damon was totally checking out the picture of the model on the label of one of those girdle/bodysuit/gut-sucker things. Brittany was telling Damon not to look at that and Damon kept staring at it saying, "This is awesome!" I like to think that Damon responded that way just to irk Brittany (oh, I really hope thats it) and that he really had no idea what he was seeing. I like to think that he was bored and was just innocently looking at the merchandise by which he was surrounded. This particular article of clothing was fairly modest and I suppose he could have been ogling a picture of a girl wearing a thong or a cleavage-bearing bra. I mentioned this incident to Brent and haven't thought much of it since, until yesterday.
Yesterday Damon and I were at Smith's Marketplace looking for a jacket for him. The boys and girls sections are right next to each other and before I realized what was on the racks, we walked right past a bunch of training bras. The second I passed those, I knew I needed to turn around and watch my son. Damon immediately reached for an overly padded bra (the padding in those things! Seriously! What 10- 11- or 12-year old girl wants her boobs to look that big?!) I vocalized a very stern warning before his fingers made contact with the fabric. He responded, "Mommy, I'm not gonna buy it." I realize he's curious and was just looking (of course he wasn't going to buy it), but we look with our eyes, not our hands. He was a bit pouty after that and I'm pretty sure he doesn't understand why my feathers got ruffled. We've tried to explain what is appropriate and what is not but I'm not so sure it's sinking in very well. So please, someone tell me this is normal for his age, that its a phase and will pass. And if it's not, someone please tell me quick! So I can get the yellow pages and call a child therapist.
I hope this is a phase. I hope its normal, but I'm just not sure. Damon is five and seems to be acquiring an interest in, ummm, womanly things. Last week the kids and I were at Wal-Mart. The girls were trying on some outfits and the only fitting rooms in the store are right smack in the middle of the women's intimates section. You know, underwear, bras, body suits, pantyhose, etc. Brittany had finished trying her clothes on and we were waiting for Brooky (she took FOREVER!) when I hear Brittany getting upset with Damon. Thinking it was just another case of big-sister-bosses-little-brother, I went to investigate and play referee. For once Brittany had a legitimate excuse to be irritated. Damon was totally checking out the picture of the model on the label of one of those girdle/bodysuit/gut-sucker things. Brittany was telling Damon not to look at that and Damon kept staring at it saying, "This is awesome!" I like to think that Damon responded that way just to irk Brittany (oh, I really hope thats it) and that he really had no idea what he was seeing. I like to think that he was bored and was just innocently looking at the merchandise by which he was surrounded. This particular article of clothing was fairly modest and I suppose he could have been ogling a picture of a girl wearing a thong or a cleavage-bearing bra. I mentioned this incident to Brent and haven't thought much of it since, until yesterday.
Yesterday Damon and I were at Smith's Marketplace looking for a jacket for him. The boys and girls sections are right next to each other and before I realized what was on the racks, we walked right past a bunch of training bras. The second I passed those, I knew I needed to turn around and watch my son. Damon immediately reached for an overly padded bra (the padding in those things! Seriously! What 10- 11- or 12-year old girl wants her boobs to look that big?!) I vocalized a very stern warning before his fingers made contact with the fabric. He responded, "Mommy, I'm not gonna buy it." I realize he's curious and was just looking (of course he wasn't going to buy it), but we look with our eyes, not our hands. He was a bit pouty after that and I'm pretty sure he doesn't understand why my feathers got ruffled. We've tried to explain what is appropriate and what is not but I'm not so sure it's sinking in very well. So please, someone tell me this is normal for his age, that its a phase and will pass. And if it's not, someone please tell me quick! So I can get the yellow pages and call a child therapist.
Comments
And my 5 year old niece is constantly looking down my shirt or feeling me up.
Personally.... I think it's kind of a phase. And the more upset you get, the more of a reaction he'll see...and it might fuel his curiosity more than anything.
But, I've raised zero kids. So, who knows! :)
He's surronded by girls for one.
Just be honest about it.
My boys (thanks to some friends of ours!) has learned the term "boobies"
And have pointed out to me one too many times when I have left my bra around that it is for my "boobies"
Yes they have even come with questions of why I have boobies. which followed with a discussion about how we don't ask people about their boobies.. OH and how we shouldn't call them boobies. ( i really hate that term.)
They too have pointed out the bra's in the womens section and have asked why some models on the pictures are wearing a Bra too small. ( snickering of course.)
What do ya do? figure out what he's so intrigued with exactly. take it from there. good luck!