Tact

Dictionary.com offers the following definition for tact: "a keen sense of what to say or do [or not to say or not to do] to avoid giving offense". I wonder, at what age does one learn tact? Is it something that just comes naturally or is it something in which we must learn? The following experience will explain my quandary.

Yesterday, Saturday, we took the kids on a day-hike up to the Wind Caves. The munchkins did remarkably well and the trek was uneventful. (We forgot to take the camera, so there are no pics.) As we were driving out of the canyon Brent suggested we stop at Aggie Ice Cream for a treat. This idea was a big hit with the kids so we got our ice cream and sat on the benches in the courtyard. There were quite a few patrons present on such a hot day but, thankfully, we were able to seclude ourselves somewhat. We people-watched as we ate. Several minutes into our delectable refreshment Damon says, "I saw somebody who spilled their ice cream." I responded, "Oh, thats too bad." Damon then pointed his finger in the direction of a small group of people across the courtyard and said, "It was that big fat guy over there."

If tact and inconspicuousness are not innate and are things that must be taught, I have failed miserably as a mother.

Comments

Lis Drage said…
I laughed when I read this. Erinn was my worst for teaching how to be tactful.... She would look at someone who was kindly speaking to her and say..."Your breath stinks!"...Then I would lecture her and she would say "but I was telling the truth...you told me to tell the truth" And she has a point there. It is very hard to explain to a child the difference between telling the truth, (like Damon pointing out the fat guy) and keeping certain truths to yourself!! This is when a child instruction manual would have come in handy!!
The Bing's said…
oh my goodness that is too funny, although I'm sure it wasn't in person... hahha.. I'm sure he'll get better with tact!!!
Kelsey said…
That is too funny!!! If you think you have failed as a mother I'm scared to ever try!
Julie and Nate said…
Kenlie told Grandma she had a big butt yesterday. Then after she went on and on about it and I got after her, she said "I was just kidding. You don't really have a big butt." So you're not alone. :)
Stacey Irwin said…
LMAO! ya know, we did teach our kids to be honest and descriptive,unfortunatley that is the price we pay!
Jameson has the very same problem.So I can't even tell ya it goes away as they get older. Jameson has told multiple people they have big bellies, asked if they were pregnant, asked why their belly sticks out like that, and asked the honest question of "what is wrong with your face" ( poor severe acne people.)
It's very hard to 1 cover and 2 get mad simply because it's such a innocent honesty.
Of course don't we all know grown ups who never learned to use tact?!
good luck, if you find the secret. let me know!
Anonymous said…
All I can say is I think that I am heading down the same road! GOod job they are cute!!!
Kristi Drennan said…
yes I can see already that I shall fail at this.
Anonymous said…
That's hilarious, it would be such a dull world if our kids turned out exactly how we wanted them, I think our trials are just to spice it up some. Ha Ha

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Parade

New House