TOU/2 - 2009
I ran the Top of Utah half marathon today and let me just say that I'm less than pleased with myself. I did really well last year and was hoping for improvement this year but it didn't happen. I guess I knew I wasn't going to do as well and therefore should not have set my standard so high, but ya know, ya always hope.
The race was HUGE this year, 2200 runners registered (1980 runners actually showed up and finished). Do you know how many school buses it takes to get 2200 people to the start line up the canyon? I don't either, I didn't count, but there were LOTS! I'm pretty sure every school bus in the county was there this morning. I managed to find a parking spot really close to the buses and as I was walking to the buses, Launa (my aunt), who was standing in line, called out to me. What are the chances that in that sea of people I would walk straight toward her? We rode the bus together and also sat near a couple of the gals from our Wasatch Back team. I saw a lot of people that I know, despite the fact that a lot of people from outside the valley come to this race.
The race started out pretty well, I was slightly ahead of my projected pace for the first 10 miles. Somewhere between mile 10 and 11 I started to lose my gumption. I won't say that I hit the "wall", I didn't feel that crappy, but my energy was waning and there was a stupid head wind, which didn't help. I managed to muster up a little more energy by the time I hit mile 12, but by that time my average pace had slowed too much and there was no saving it. So I did the best I could at that point and finished as strong as I could. Last year my time was 1:33:44 so I was really hoping to run under an hour and thirty-three minutes this year, at least. My average pace needed to be 7:05 per mile. It didn't happen. My time was 1:35:44, exactly two minutes slower than last year and my average pace was 7:16.
Here are a few pics. They're not the best but its proof that I did it.
Almost done.


Finish line.

Talking to Brent and the kids afterward.

I have a few theories as to why I didn't excel this year:
1. Injuries. It really hasn't been my year. I started the season with a shin splint. Then I pulled a muscle in my groin. Then I had some crazy unexplained pain shooting through the middle of my foot (that one only lasted a day or two, thank goodness.)
2. Although I made sure I ran adequate mileage during my training, my tempo runs and speedwork were not what they should have been. And I didn't spend as much time in the weight room this summer. There's a lot more to running a good race than just being able to run a certain distance.
3. I didn't run with my fast friend at all this summer. In years past I've usually done one run per week with this gal that is a little faster than me. I have to push myself to keep up with her. I ran solo all summer and as much as I love to run alone, in retrospect it wasn't the best plan.
4. I'm embarrassed to admit to this one, but since I'm spilling my guts...I weigh 4-5 pounds more now than I did this time last year. Brent tells me it's muscle but I'm not convinced. I seem to have some un-tamable eating habits.
5. I'm sick. I've had a chest cold and this wonderfully productive cough since July 26. Oh, and as of this week, we can add "stuffy/runny nose" to the list. I also had some upset stomach issues a couple of weeks ago and when your stomach doesn't feel good, you have to be sure you don't get too far from a bathroom and that makes it hard to get in a good workout.
So, these are my excuses. I read somewhere not too long ago that distance runners reach their peak speeds between the ages of 32 and 34. I have high hopes for next year.
On a slightly different thread, last night we were eating dinner and talking about today's race. Brittany, in a disappointed-sounding voice, asked, "When are you gonna run a FULL marathon?" I would love to be able to that, mostly just for bragging rights but I'm not sure my body will ever let me. That's how I answered Brit's question and Brent took the opportunity to explain how stupid it is to run that far. (Brent does not enjoy running and does not understand why some people do.) Then he told me, "You're a fool for even wanting to do that." (See how much he loves me?!) He then said, "As you cross that finish line tomorrow I want you to think and ask yourself if you could run all the way back." I did think about that as I finished and the answer is "No." At least, not at that pace, I'd have to tack on about a minute per mile and then maybe. But alas, that may be something that never gets crossed off my bucket list.
The race was HUGE this year, 2200 runners registered (1980 runners actually showed up and finished). Do you know how many school buses it takes to get 2200 people to the start line up the canyon? I don't either, I didn't count, but there were LOTS! I'm pretty sure every school bus in the county was there this morning. I managed to find a parking spot really close to the buses and as I was walking to the buses, Launa (my aunt), who was standing in line, called out to me. What are the chances that in that sea of people I would walk straight toward her? We rode the bus together and also sat near a couple of the gals from our Wasatch Back team. I saw a lot of people that I know, despite the fact that a lot of people from outside the valley come to this race.
The race started out pretty well, I was slightly ahead of my projected pace for the first 10 miles. Somewhere between mile 10 and 11 I started to lose my gumption. I won't say that I hit the "wall", I didn't feel that crappy, but my energy was waning and there was a stupid head wind, which didn't help. I managed to muster up a little more energy by the time I hit mile 12, but by that time my average pace had slowed too much and there was no saving it. So I did the best I could at that point and finished as strong as I could. Last year my time was 1:33:44 so I was really hoping to run under an hour and thirty-three minutes this year, at least. My average pace needed to be 7:05 per mile. It didn't happen. My time was 1:35:44, exactly two minutes slower than last year and my average pace was 7:16.
Here are a few pics. They're not the best but its proof that I did it.
Almost done.
Finish line.
Talking to Brent and the kids afterward.
I have a few theories as to why I didn't excel this year:
1. Injuries. It really hasn't been my year. I started the season with a shin splint. Then I pulled a muscle in my groin. Then I had some crazy unexplained pain shooting through the middle of my foot (that one only lasted a day or two, thank goodness.)
2. Although I made sure I ran adequate mileage during my training, my tempo runs and speedwork were not what they should have been. And I didn't spend as much time in the weight room this summer. There's a lot more to running a good race than just being able to run a certain distance.
3. I didn't run with my fast friend at all this summer. In years past I've usually done one run per week with this gal that is a little faster than me. I have to push myself to keep up with her. I ran solo all summer and as much as I love to run alone, in retrospect it wasn't the best plan.
4. I'm embarrassed to admit to this one, but since I'm spilling my guts...I weigh 4-5 pounds more now than I did this time last year. Brent tells me it's muscle but I'm not convinced. I seem to have some un-tamable eating habits.
5. I'm sick. I've had a chest cold and this wonderfully productive cough since July 26. Oh, and as of this week, we can add "stuffy/runny nose" to the list. I also had some upset stomach issues a couple of weeks ago and when your stomach doesn't feel good, you have to be sure you don't get too far from a bathroom and that makes it hard to get in a good workout.
So, these are my excuses. I read somewhere not too long ago that distance runners reach their peak speeds between the ages of 32 and 34. I have high hopes for next year.
On a slightly different thread, last night we were eating dinner and talking about today's race. Brittany, in a disappointed-sounding voice, asked, "When are you gonna run a FULL marathon?" I would love to be able to that, mostly just for bragging rights but I'm not sure my body will ever let me. That's how I answered Brit's question and Brent took the opportunity to explain how stupid it is to run that far. (Brent does not enjoy running and does not understand why some people do.) Then he told me, "You're a fool for even wanting to do that." (See how much he loves me?!) He then said, "As you cross that finish line tomorrow I want you to think and ask yourself if you could run all the way back." I did think about that as I finished and the answer is "No." At least, not at that pace, I'd have to tack on about a minute per mile and then maybe. But alas, that may be something that never gets crossed off my bucket list.
Comments
P.S. take good care of Ryan when you see him, I wish I could be with him for the funeral!
I still think you did awesome. Of course the very thought of getting out and running a half marathon makes me want to hide and curl up in a ball. I would love to do it,But I'm no fool as to how much work and dedication it would take on my part to get there.
SO I"m impressed that you did it. Ya finished! If you plan on doing it again soon maybe you can make it a goal to beat your best time again. As long as the wind isn't against ya I think you could do it easy!
As for the marathon... go for it. I mean even if it takes you countless hours to finish and you walk half of it. so what! Just to show that hubby of yours that you can very well do a marathon! Leave it on the bucket list.
I'm impressed regardless and think you should be proud of yourself for the very effort of the run.
But I've done enough races to know one owns expectations and how frustrating it is when we don't meet them.
As for being older and running, read Dara Torres book "Age is Just a Number." I'm reading it now. Amazing. She mostly talks about how you can keep doing what you are, and even get faster, it's just the training and recovery that is different.