Brooky's Baptism

This day finally arrived. Brooklyn has been looking forward to her baptism for quite some time. We've done a lot of planning and preparing for this day both spiritually and temporally.

Last night before the kids went to bed I gave each of them an assignment to be completed this morning before leaving for the service. Brooky's job was to spread a pic nic blanket on the grass in the backyard so there would be a spot for kids (or adults) to sit for lunch. Brooky feel asleep easily last night, she was pretty worn out, but sleep wore off early this morning. I headed out for my morning run about 5:30. When I got home I did a few little things and then decided to check my email before I showered. It was about 6:30 and I heard the door to the garage open. I was baffled at who might be coming in my house at such an unearthly hour because I knew Brent was still in bed. I went to investigate and here comes Brooklyn with a flashlight in hand. I asked her what she was doing and she answered that she was putting the blanket out for lunch. She had so much energy this morning and got herself ready in record time. I'm always hounding her to hurry up and there was none of that today.

We headed to the stake center and had a few minutes before the prayer meeting so we took some pictures.


>
Brent's sister made Brooky a CTR bracelet. I didn't do a very good job getting a picture of it. Sorry for the glare.
Brooky was the only girl to be baptized today, along with four boys. I'm pretty sure I've never been to a stake baptism with only five kids being baptized. Seemed like a small group. Brent and Brooky got to demonstrate how a baptism is performed during the prayer meeting. At least one parent of each child being baptized participated in the program. I was asked to give a talk about baptism. I really enjoy public speaking and this was probably the most enjoyable talk I've ever given. Glad I had the opportunity.

I asked Brooky several times if she was nervous and she always said no, she was just really excited. I hope that meant that she was well prepared and understood the commitment she was about to make. Brent performed the baptism with Grandpa Dave (Brent's dad) and Grandpa Bartlett (my grandpa) as witnesses. Brooky was glowing when she came out of the water. Brent also confirmed Brooky and gave her a wonderful blessing. I hope she remembers some of the things he said. Those in the circle with Brent included Grandpa Dave, Grandpa Bartlett, Brent's brothers, Brian and Jimmy and my brothers, Eddie and Andy, as well as our bishop.

We took pictures afterwards.
Brooky and Boston.


Grandpa Dave and Grandma Karen.
Grandpa and Grandma Bartlett.
Grandma Nette.
Grandma Audrey.
Great-grandma Suisse.
Brooky and Kenlie.
After multiple attempts, I finally got an almost-decent picture of Damon with Grandpa Bartlett. Damon struggled a bit today. I think he knew the focus was not on him and he felt a little left out, which was cause for a bunch of silliness.

Julie told Boston to put her hands on the car, I assume so she wouldn't wander into the street. Brent snapped this pic as we drove past. What a pose, Bossi!
We had everyone over to our house for lunch. Brooky chose to have hamburgers and hotdogs and corn on the cob. Everyone pitched in and contributed to the spread, we had a TON of food. Ever notice how hard it is to get people to take home leftovers? I won't have to cook for a week.

Thank you everyone, for coming to support us today and for all you did to help. It has been a fantastic day. The spirit has been present and strong. I am grateful for Brooklyn and the choice she made today. She is setting a good example. I love you, Brooky. Thanks for letting me be your mom.

Comments

Christy Jones said…
Congratulations Brooklyn!! She looks so beautiful all dressed in white, she seems so happy! I like small baptisms makes it more personal!
Congratulations Brooklyn! Looks like you had a great day and she looked so happy! That's awesome!
Stacey Irwin said…
It sounds like it turned out to be a very special day for her! She looked beautiful! I'm glad it all went well and that she has so much family to surround her!
Congrats to Brooky! And good job mom!
She's lucky to have you!
Michele said…
Wow! She looks amazing (and so grown up)! Looks like you had a marvelous time......congrats Broooklyn!

PS. I loved the pictures of her in her baptism dress! No doubt made with love by her mom!
Kristi Drennan said…
Ok I totally had goosebumps. Isn't that so weird? I guess because I get so little "church life" stuff something that is a huge deal but you know...normal for this age...oh it gave me goosebumps. The good kind! Church is true!

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Bogger Messed Up My Give Away