I Love Where I'm At
Life is so good. (Knock on wood.) I am loving this period of my life, it's pretty close to perfect. Well, that's a big stretch, but things are good. I've been feeling this way for a long time and I've been meaning to write about it but just haven't gotten around to doing it.
I'm really enjoying the ages of my kids. We've hit a fairly calm plateau. I love that they are all young enough that I feel I can still protect them and shield them from many things. I still control a lot of what they do and don't do, I'm still the boss. However, I realize these days are numbered. Although they're still pretty young, I love that they are all old enough to do things for themselves. There is no baby to feed, no diapers to change, no baby/toddler carseats to deal with, no treats or toys to take to church. Everyone dresses themselves, takes care of thier own bathroom requirements, and if the occasion calls for it, they can each fix something to eat on their own. I love that if I need to run a quick errand, I can just go and do it, instead of packing up 3 kids. And if I do take the munchkins along, I love that they can all get themselves in the car and buckled up properly. I love the security and the freedom of this stage in our lives. Don't remind me, I know it won't last.
It occured to me the other day that this is the only year all 3 of my kids will ever be at the same school. Brittany heads off to middle school next year and by the time Brooklyn gets there Brittany will have moved to South Cache (for 8th and 9th grade). When Brooklyn starts 6th grade my kids will each be at a different school.
I do not miss the baby and toddler stages. I'm glad they're over, those were some hard years and quite frankly, not the happiest years of my life. But, I think I've learned, or at least I'm learning, not to wish away time. I'm learning to live in and appreciate the moment.
I'm really enjoying the ages of my kids. We've hit a fairly calm plateau. I love that they are all young enough that I feel I can still protect them and shield them from many things. I still control a lot of what they do and don't do, I'm still the boss. However, I realize these days are numbered. Although they're still pretty young, I love that they are all old enough to do things for themselves. There is no baby to feed, no diapers to change, no baby/toddler carseats to deal with, no treats or toys to take to church. Everyone dresses themselves, takes care of thier own bathroom requirements, and if the occasion calls for it, they can each fix something to eat on their own. I love that if I need to run a quick errand, I can just go and do it, instead of packing up 3 kids. And if I do take the munchkins along, I love that they can all get themselves in the car and buckled up properly. I love the security and the freedom of this stage in our lives. Don't remind me, I know it won't last.
It occured to me the other day that this is the only year all 3 of my kids will ever be at the same school. Brittany heads off to middle school next year and by the time Brooklyn gets there Brittany will have moved to South Cache (for 8th and 9th grade). When Brooklyn starts 6th grade my kids will each be at a different school.
I do not miss the baby and toddler stages. I'm glad they're over, those were some hard years and quite frankly, not the happiest years of my life. But, I think I've learned, or at least I'm learning, not to wish away time. I'm learning to live in and appreciate the moment.
Comments
But no matter the stage, I think it's wise to slow down and just enjoy it... they do grow up fast..