Poll: Homework

I need your thoughts on kids' homework. I'm having a difficult time finding what works best for my family. Well, let me rephrase that. I'm having a difficult time finding what works best for Brooklyn. Up until about a week ago, the rule has always been, come home from school, get a quick snack, do homework, do chores, go play (time permitting), then dinner and after that the bedtime routine begins. The problem is, Brooklyn moves as fast as cold tar. She seems to have no concept of time passing. Her outlook on life is such that she is just happy to be here. I love that about her and hope it never changes. However, the happy-go-lucky thing doesn't work too well when things just need to get done. Seriously, if this kid eats a bowl of cereal in under 20 minutes, it's amazing. For real. I've timed her and it usually takes nearly 30 minutes to down a bowl of Froot Loops. It can take 10 minutes for shoes and socks. And getting dressed....let's just say that if she's up at 8:00 on Sunday and skips breakfast she might make it across the street to Sacrament meeting on time at 9:00.

Okay, back to the homework issue. So I don't like the original plan because Brooky gets no playtime on schooldays. It's work, work, eat, bed. I don't think it should be that way, kids need to have free time but also, there are things that must be done. About a week ago, I changed the routine to after-school snack, chores, playtime, dinner, homework, then bedtime stuff. Because Little Miss Slow-Poke is well, slow, bedtime gets later and later which is not good for me. I should probably confess that I do a fair amount of prodding, nagging, yelling, threatening, bribing, etc to get this kid to move faster. Nothing works. When I'm desperate I stand beside her and remind her to quit talking and keep working/eating, but I can't do that all day long. So what do you do? What's the routine at your house?

Comments

Kristi Drennan said…
Duct tape? I mean...it is the fix it for all right? Duct tape her mouth when she's chatty...duct tape her to the chair when she's wiggly...etc...

Yeah I am not there in life yet so...no I still go with duct tape.

Wish I was more help...unless you decide to use the duct tape in which...you're very welcome.
Anonymous said…
Wow...I was going to suggest a timer...like beat the clock...set it for 30 minutes and see if she can beat the clock to get stuff done...if it works than perhaps you could have a reward for the days she beats the clock...EX favorite treats, new pencil, notepad...anything that going to make her want to beat the clock...and watching the timer might give her a sense of time. This could really work for getting her ready in the morning. Good luck!
Stacey Irwin said…
I can't even tell you how much I feel you pain. Ethan is very much like that. And unless I ride him nothing ( and I mean nothing) gets accomplished. Jameson is like that in the homework and chores area. And I find myself repeating over and over. only to fall on def ears. which leads to yelling & threatning.
Our sched here is.. come home snack and a half hour to chill watch a cartoon or whatever.. after that everything is turned off. And we start chores then homework..Dinner..and if they managed to get it all done by then more chill time... But that rarely happens. I too hate spending the time following them around to ensure it gets done. And I feel bad if they had to work the min they walked in the door. But more oft then not they bring that upon themselves!
I too am trying to figure out a new plan to motivate. So I wish you the best of luck.
Tarbet Times said…
I have a friend who had a child with ADD (I know Brooky doesn't) the timer worked really with him. The down side is that you still have to pretty much there to enforce it all. This friend also had an area like a blanket or something where it had to be done. Good luck!
Liz said…
I have a time limit for Erin. She and Brooky are cut from the same cloth and that's what works here. She is on a checklist for the amount of times she can get ready for school with 15 mins to spare to earn something. Has to be 19 times not consecutively. It's working. Then I am not getting after her. Might be the same thing for Brooky for after school. Can't hurt. Erin has an after school friend here that they do their homework with each other. But we have the same schedule, for after school without the chores. In, wash hands, snack, homework, and then out to play. Chores are after supper. Good luck.
Mother OfMany said…
Okay this is something you probably won't ever do... but might? work???

Have a sit down- talk about consequences and time, privlidge and responsibility. Have a theme for a month in your family about those topics- read books at bedtime that compliment it, do lessons in FHE in that remind, and discuss it in everyday situations/conversations.

Go to the dollar store with her and let her pick out and purchase a timer and a watch. Let her time everything for a week to see how long they take and get use to being concious of time.

After a week of figuring it all out... then have a purposeful talk again about it.

The next week let HER set the timer and get her work done. Remind her and help her for that week.

On the third week talk to her about it AGAIN and then let HER set the timer, AND get her work done- but this time on her own... if she doesn't finish she doesn't finish.

Let HER suffer the consequences or enjoy the rewards of her efforts- i.e. having her teacher be surprised and disappointed & reprimand her for not doing her work or receiving praise and honor from her teacher for working independently. (you could even talk to the teacher about being in cahoots with you on this one).

I have zero experience in this field- therefore I can offer the most magical advice that may or may not work... but hey- you never know!
:O)

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Bogger Messed Up My Give Away