I'm Ready!
I did it, I finally did it! My goal for this year was to have all of the major Christmas preparations complete before Thanksgiving Day, but especially by the end of the Thanksgiving weekend. And I did it! The shopping was complete the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and the Christmas Poop to whom I am married consented to allow me to begin the decorating process the day BEFORE Thanksgiving. If you recall, last year I got in trouble because I put up Christmas decor too early. So with all the big stuff out of the way, my plan was to use this week to finish up minor things and be 100% done by this Saturday. I'll admit, I haven't done any wrapping yet but that's my most favorite part so I'm waiting until Friday morning to do that so don't call me on Friday, I'm busy.
An early start and an early finish has been one of my ways of simplifying the holiday season this year. I think simplicity is important. Sometimes "less" is "more". As a kid growing up, the holidays were such a fun time and never seemed hectic to me. I never realized how much chaos was involved until I became an adult, and even more so once I had kids of my own.
The official start of the holiday shopping seems to begin with Black Friday. From that day on until Christmas, stores are packed, almost regardless of the time of day or night. I'm so glad I don't have to be a part of that.
I am so excited for the next couple of weeks. With most of the hustle and bustle out of the way, we decided to start a new tradition. Each night, depending on the night, we're going to either read a Christmas story or watch a Christmas movie as a family. We made of list of our favorites so we wouldn't leave anything out.
More than anything else, I'm excited to sit back and enjoy the season. I'm hoping to enjoy without the stress, without the nagging feeling that I've still got stuff to do. I'm hoping for some quiet moments to sit and reflect on the Savior and His life. I'm hoping to make some memories with my kids in a festive, but unhurried atmosphere and soak in their childlike excitement over the little things like candy cane hot chocolate, Christmas lights, Christmas goodies, candy- and cookie-making, art projects from school, Christmas songs, etc. That childlike excitement doesn't last forever and I don't want to miss it.
An early start and an early finish has been one of my ways of simplifying the holiday season this year. I think simplicity is important. Sometimes "less" is "more". As a kid growing up, the holidays were such a fun time and never seemed hectic to me. I never realized how much chaos was involved until I became an adult, and even more so once I had kids of my own.
The official start of the holiday shopping seems to begin with Black Friday. From that day on until Christmas, stores are packed, almost regardless of the time of day or night. I'm so glad I don't have to be a part of that.
I am so excited for the next couple of weeks. With most of the hustle and bustle out of the way, we decided to start a new tradition. Each night, depending on the night, we're going to either read a Christmas story or watch a Christmas movie as a family. We made of list of our favorites so we wouldn't leave anything out.
More than anything else, I'm excited to sit back and enjoy the season. I'm hoping to enjoy without the stress, without the nagging feeling that I've still got stuff to do. I'm hoping for some quiet moments to sit and reflect on the Savior and His life. I'm hoping to make some memories with my kids in a festive, but unhurried atmosphere and soak in their childlike excitement over the little things like candy cane hot chocolate, Christmas lights, Christmas goodies, candy- and cookie-making, art projects from school, Christmas songs, etc. That childlike excitement doesn't last forever and I don't want to miss it.
Comments