Kids Really Don't Listen

I've heard and read that kids actually do pay attention even when we think they don't. For example, I've heard that it's okay to let kids color or draw during Sacrament meeting or Conference because they actually listen better while they're doing a secondary task. I disagree with this. In fact, I have proof that it's not true. Or, maybe it is true, but in the case to which I refer, maybe there was some Divine intervention.

Anyway, I'm happy to report that after talking with some other parents in our ward, there appears to have been no tears or necessary parental implementation of deflection techniques after last Sunday's Testimony meeting. (See previous post if you're confused.) All the moms I've talked to agree that their kids, despite what they may or may not be doing, don't listen in church. It's hard enough explaining how Santa gets into our house since we don't have a chimney, and whether or not the elves really make ALL the toys or buy some of them at Wal-Mart, I just don't need the stress of coming up with any other excuses.

Oh, if you're wondering, at our house, we have a very special Christmas key. It has magical powers, but only when Santa is the one using it. We hang it outside the front door so Santa can get in and leave the loot. If you don't have a chimney, how does the big jolly elf get in your house?

Comments

Stacey Irwin said…
CLEVER!!!!! Man I need to come to you for some more clever answers.. since this year I am getting bombarded!!!!
We have a stone ledge thingy that hold plants. I told them that Santa has magical powers to turn it into a chimney on christmas eve.. we just never get to see it that way.. ( lame, but it worked and hey I was working on the fly here!)

Glad to see that kids don't really listen... My kids tune out the minute we get settled in sacrament, they already know they'll be bored! And start acting so upon entering the chapel!

We haven't gotten into the elves yet other then they help santa get the toys. I don't tell them that he makes them only that he gets them. It has seem to tied them over ( for now.)

But I might just have to take on the magic christmas key if we ever move and don't have anything that could even pass as a chimney!!!
I read your previous post....and what the crap...did someone take her out back and beat her after sacrament, because i know my husband would have!! How innapropriate of her, I hate when people feel so strongly that their way is the right way, that they feel it necessary preaching their stupid ways to everyone else!! Uggghhhh.....people are sooo annoying!!
Tarbet Times said…
Maybe the listening while coloring comes at an older age. I made it through nursing school studying while watching TV, just so I could spend a little time with my family. I even took my books to a few ball games. Needless to say, I'm really happy that your cute kids didn't catch on to anything!
Julie and Nate said…
We don't have a chimney either, but surprisingly our kids have never asked how Santa gets in. They seem to just be happy that he comes. :)
I like the key idea though!!

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Parade

New House