A Childhood Memory

I just read a fun post on Visible Voice. Kristi made of list of fun kid-things she'd still like to do. It got me thinking about what I liked to to as a kid. I used to to like to build forts and find places for secret clubhouses. I'll tell you a story now...

Once upon a time, when I was 9 or 10 my family was building a new house. Our old house had sold and we moved into a rental. A couple blocks from our rental home was a vacant lot with a great big tree. This tree had been home to many treehouses and forts over the years and was currently home to a pretty impressive fort. I wanted to go play in it. Unfortunately for me, my dad knew the kid who'd built this treehouse was an idiot and therefore, forbade my siblings and me to climb into what Dad considered to be a hazardous outfit.

Well, I was sure the treehouse wasn't that bad, after all, there were kids climbing up and down and playing in it all the time. It hadn't fallen over yet. Now, I REALLY wanted to climb that tree and play, it was so tempting. So, when Dad wasn't home, I'd go play in the treehouse. It was fine. It didn't fall apart or fall out of the tree. Nothing happened and I didn't get caught. Until, the day I stepped on a nail (because the idiot who built the fort didn't pound them all in.) Busted! I hobbled home and told my mom who then took me to get a tetnus shot. I don't recall if I ever played in that particular treehouse again, but I do remember I didn't get in trouble for sneaking around. In fact, I don't think my dad ever said anything to me about it.

Comments

Liz said…
LOL! You rebel! You have inspired me and I am going to share my nail story on my blog. Thanks for the reminder.
Kristi Drennan said…
Like I just posted on Liz's blog....I totally got a nail in my foot too! It was during some tearing down or something in my house. And you know what...I don't remember if my parents took me to get a tetnus shot. Just like I don't remember them taking me to the hospital after a dirty squirrel bit me. Sheesh it was a rough go there for a bit! Ha ha ha! I love hearing these kid stories!
Anonymous said…
So glad that I have never gotten a nail, but should probably knock on wood considering the amount of building sites I find myself on. I once was forbidden to play in the mud. Tempted and hated to be told what to do I rebelled. My friend and I dressed up in all my white clothes and ran through the mud. It was fun and I never gotten in trouble either. I did have to wash the laundry and get the stains out of the cloths. Perhaps that's why I hate doing laundry!

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Parade

New House