Emotionally Attached
Brooklyn gets extremely attached to "things". Like toys and clothes and stuff. There was a DI drive this morning and I've been planning for it for a couple of weeks. I told the kids to go through their toys and get rid of things they no longer play with. Damon came up with some stuff to get rid of so did Brittany. Every time I talked to Brooklyn about this she would get teary eyes and a really sad face.
Last night there was also a winter clothing drive that a prospective Eagle Scout was overseeing. Brooklyn had recently inherited a second winter coat, one that Brittany had outgrown. I told Brooky she didn't need two coats and needed to choose one to give away because there are little girls out there that don't have coats. She spent two hours agonizing over this decision and shed a few tears in the process. She finally made a choice, but was so sad about it, I had to tell her to just get over it. I don't mean to be heartless, but seriously, it's a coat.
Back to the DI stuff. As I said goodnight to Brooklyn last night at about 8:30, I told her to go through her toy box and pick out some toys that she never plays with. Once again she got a little weepy. I figured she'd be fine and I went upstairs. Just after midnight, something woke me up. I saw Brooklyn standing in my doorway crying (she was trying to cry quietly). I asked what was wrong and she said she just couldn't decide what toys to give away. I told her to go to bed and we'd worry about it in the morning.
This morning Brittany told me that she woke up around midnight because Brooky was screaming and crying and calling Brittany's name. Brit went into Brooky's room to see what was going on. Brooky said, "Please help me decide what toys to give to the DI." Brittany went back to bed.
This kid will probably end up in therapy one day.
Last night there was also a winter clothing drive that a prospective Eagle Scout was overseeing. Brooklyn had recently inherited a second winter coat, one that Brittany had outgrown. I told Brooky she didn't need two coats and needed to choose one to give away because there are little girls out there that don't have coats. She spent two hours agonizing over this decision and shed a few tears in the process. She finally made a choice, but was so sad about it, I had to tell her to just get over it. I don't mean to be heartless, but seriously, it's a coat.
Back to the DI stuff. As I said goodnight to Brooklyn last night at about 8:30, I told her to go through her toy box and pick out some toys that she never plays with. Once again she got a little weepy. I figured she'd be fine and I went upstairs. Just after midnight, something woke me up. I saw Brooklyn standing in my doorway crying (she was trying to cry quietly). I asked what was wrong and she said she just couldn't decide what toys to give away. I told her to go to bed and we'd worry about it in the morning.
This morning Brittany told me that she woke up around midnight because Brooky was screaming and crying and calling Brittany's name. Brit went into Brooky's room to see what was going on. Brooky said, "Please help me decide what toys to give to the DI." Brittany went back to bed.
This kid will probably end up in therapy one day.
Comments
Good luck! I hope she was able to work it out and was able to find Something to part with.. poor thing. Well, at least you know she loves her things?!