Limitations

As parents, we have the responsibility to set limits for our kids. Sometimes the limits cause tears, but the kids eventually adapt. I am amazed at how quickly my kids adapt to new rules when I am consistent and stick to my guns, which I'm usually pretty good at.

Damon has become a video game-aholic. I'm not overly concerned about this because, well, like father, like son. Before the holidays, I noticed his gaming habits were increasing and they escalated during the Christmas vacation. I knew I needed to do something when all my 5-year old wanted to do was play games and throw fits when it was time to turn them off. I also noticed his behavior was getting AWFUL! Yes, he's five and he's going through a really silly stage as is, but I really felt the gaming was a contributing factor. But, I also knew it would be really cruel of me to not let him play his heart out during the holidays. I just dealt with it the best I could.

School started back up this past Monday and with it came my new time limits. Damon must set the timer, he gets 60 minutes per day to play. He can use his allotment all at once or pause the timer and take breaks. I explained this to him and enforced it on Monday. Oh boy, did we have tears and tantrums when that time was up.

Tuesday. I explained the rule again and Damon used up his time before the big kids got home from school. There was some whining and complaining, but nothing like the day before. When the kids got home from school, his little buddy came over to play the XBOX. Umm, sorry, but you've already used up your minutes for today. Damon was mad but they played other stuff and he was fine.

Wednesday. Damon comes home from school and decided he is going to save his game time until Kaden (his friend) gets home from school so they can play together. When the time was up, everything was fine. They turned off the game and there were no tears.

Thursday. Damon waited for Kaden again, but Kaden couldn't play so Damon played by himself. No whining or complaining when the timer beeped.

Today, Friday. Damon played by himself for about 10 minutes then decided to wait for Brent to come home from work before he used up the rest of his time.

I'm thrilled that this is working and Damon is realizing the value of the time he gets to spend gaming. I've also noticed a bit of a change in his behavior. We still have the silly phase, but it's not quite as unbearable as it was a week ago.

I haven't quite decided how to work Saturdays yet. Where it's so blasted cold outside and there isn't much else to do, I'm going to let him play longer than one hour. I'm thinking three, which is a lot, but I'm rationalizing with the fact that he doesn't get to play at all on Sundays.

Comments

The Super Seven said…
I love that idea. My Jacob loves the video games....it's a good thing we don't live close together!!! I might have to get a timer and try that one out. I've be limiting the Wii now that school is back in. They got all got a DS for Christmas but I've become very good at taking those away.......that hasn't gone over so well but they are learning I mean business.
Liz said…
We do time limits here as well. Each child has one hour a day for combined tv, computer, video games. There are times that we adjust that: sickness, playing or watching together as a family, research. But it works great here. Glad you see a difference so quickly.
Christy Jones said…
This post is so close to my heart. I had to learn to manage game time years ago!! With a husband who makes video games I have had to work hard to make it NOT be the main hobby in our home. I consider gaming to be a privlege so When Aaron started Kindergarten, I set the rule that there are NO video games durring the school week and he can only play for one hour on Saturdays. I also used it as leverage taking away their precious saturday if they didn't do their chores or behave. It worked wonders!! I am not a complete grinch so I do let them play as much as they want over the holidays,but that too can be lost if they do not behave or do their chores. It works very,very well. Over the years I made Aaron read or play blocks when he was needing to waste time. Now he is an avid reader! It was hard to inforce initially but now is just a known rule of the house. I didn't even have to try to inforce it when Alton was old enough, he just knew the rules. You are smart to tackle this while he is young because I am sure it gets alot worse when they are teens!
Kim said…
We only let the kids play on the weekend, unless there's a vacation and then they can play during the week. We don't really set a time limit on the weekends though because it's the only time they can play. We do have them turn them off periodically to do other things.
Kellie said…
Good idea with the time limits. I know it's a long way off for me, but I'm sure I'll be doing the same thing.

And kudos for the consistency. One of the things I'm going to try to be consistent on for teaching Owen (he's 8 months right now) is that cell phones, remotes, telephones & keys aren't toys. We'll see how that goes!

Your header picture is really nice. I can't believe how big your kids are now... so grown up. I remember when there was just 2 & they were really little!
The Full Nelson said…
great idea! I am sure I'll have to do something like that with Ethan in the near future. Good for you for sticking to your guns too!
Stacey Irwin said…
Why in the world have I not thought of that??!!! Ethan sounds like he & Damon could be good gaming buddies, since Ethan too is a video game aholic. and throws fits too when I say enough is enough! I cringe everytime we go thru it! I think I am going to have to try this one and see how it plays out. I agree, especially during holiday break I don't think our poor ps3 got much of a break!
Smart thinking girl! I 'll think I'll try it too! thanks!!
Kelsey said…
I was reading your post thinking to myself that I need to set a timer for me and the computer. Sometimes I get carried away and waste a lot of time. :) So your post helped me see the light! hahaha.
Kristi Drennan said…
I agree with your friend Kelsey...I was thinking I need to set a timer for myself for the computer because I can get lost in it (blogs). But I love this.

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Bogger Messed Up My Give Away