Ski Day = Broken Leg


Yup, that's right. Brittany has a broken leg. The fifth graders went skiing today at Beaver Mountain. I thought I'd let Brittany tell how this tragedy occurred, so here she is.

My friend (Kate) and I were skiing together. We meant to go up to the small Beaver Mountain, but instead we accidentally went up the HUGE mountain. We went down the mountain thinking that we would eventually end up back at the lodge. But we didn't. We asked around and went up another ski lift. Some people gave us a map, but I dropped it on the lift. Oh well, it didn't make sense to me and Kate anyway. Finally we figured out how to get down. This lady named Whittney helped us. Well, I was ahead of her and Kate and went down this really steep hill. I tried to go slow, but it was soooooooooo hard. I ended up going super fast. I tried to slow down but couldn't. I decided that I would just fall. I did that and broke my leg. It really hurt. And that's how it happened.

So, there you have it, folks. I have a very miserable little girl on my hands right now, but she has been so brave and I'm so proud of her for that. Her leg is currently in a splint to allow the swelling to decrease. She has an appointment with an Orthopedic on Thursday and if the swelling is down enough, she'll get a cast.

Brittany is really complaining of her foot tingling and being numb. The splint isn't too tight, her capillary refill is adequate. We've tried different posistions, ice and even heat, nothing helps much. Has anyone ever had a broken bone and experienced this? What helps with the discomfort?

Comments

The Super Seven said…
So sorry to hear that she actually broke her leg. Not a fun way to end the day. I broke my leg when I was sledding down Citadel Hill with a few other YSA's. It was not a fun time, since I broke it in 2 spots and they set it wrong the first time. I hope her swelling goes down soon and they can get her on the road to recovery. Hope that you hang in there as well as I'm sure you'll be helping her a little more then usual. She's lucky to have a great mom like you to watch out for her!!! Good luck Brittany!!!
Stacey Irwin said…
I'm telling you beaver is cursed.. someone always gets hurt on the school trips!

Course I would have done the same thing if I couldn't slow down either. Sounds smarter then keep going and gaining speed.. Just bad luck. Poor girl!

As for the numb and pain.. I wish I knew... hope it goes away on it's on.. Dose up on pain meds.

Hope you feel better soon Brittany!
Tarbet Times said…
You've probably tried this already but for the pain: really elevate that leg really high, above the heart. I've found that this can really help to relieve the pain. Check again that the ace isn't too snug. Have you tried ibuprofen as well as narcotics? Her toes must be pink and CRT must be very brisk for her age. Much quicker than two seconds. Good luck and call if you need anything.
Christy Jones said…
Poor Brittany!! Alton broke both his arms when he was three and I would have to agree with the previous post that meds and elevation really help. When she gets the cast have Brent do a drawing, I think it would make it more fun for her. I hope she feels better soon. Oh and be prepared for the stink that goes along with the cast.
Lis Drage said…
So Allison has her grade 5 ski trip on the 18 of Feb.... I'm a little worried now. Ally has never been skiing so i hope she doesn't even make it off the bunny hill. Hope Britany is not in a lot of pain and is up and moving soon!
So sorry to hear this. Her little face just tells how much pain she's in. Never broken anything so no sugestions. Hope the healing process isn't a rough one for her. She's got a great Mom who'll mend her all up.
Anonymous said…
Well now I am sure that I never want to try skiing! She looks so sad in the picture. I have never broken anything but I remember when Colin broke his leg the swelling lasted days! I do remember him saying that there were times when his toes being numb. My biggest suggestion is this cast cover we bought it was a life saver when it came to showering. It slips right over the cast and has a suction cup thingy at the top to stop the water from getting in. I highly recommend getting one. If you can't find one I will send you the one we have. Here's to the next few weeks going fast!
Liz said…
Poor Brittany. Tami, would you deliver this message in it's entirety? Promise? Okay, you can keep reading then. Hey Brittany, we are feeling for you up here. You are in our prayers for a quick healing. Brittany, milk this for all it's worth! At least some good will come out of it. Think of all the blessings others can get by serving you ;) Hope you heal quickly, Love the MacKays.
The Full Nelson said…
oh dear! I hope that everything heals as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, I don't have any broken leg advice.
Kristi Drennan said…
Oh Brit I'm so sorry you broke your leg! And I'm so sorry you're uncomfortable. I have no advice for you because that's never happened to me. I hope it gets better fast!
Tami said…
I feel bad for myself! Hee hee hee hee. - Brittany

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Bogger Messed Up My Give Away