Willpower
Dicionary.com defines willpower as "control of one's impulses and actions; self-control; The strength of will to carry out one's decisions, wishes, or plans." One of my goals for this year is to develop more self-control when it comes to my treats. This is why I jumped on Kristi's Kryptonite wagon. (You can still participate, it's not too late. Let me know if you're interested.) It's an effort to get my treat addiction under control and attempt to overcome the "natural [wo]man".
Here is one of my motivating factors: Unlike many, I do not gain weight during the holiday season. Typically, my training for one race or another peaks during the holidays so my workouts balance out the holiday goodies. However, early Spring is my "off season" and that is when I usually pack on a few pounds. Last year, I gained 5 pounds the first three weeks of April. The first weekend of April was conference weekend. Click here to see what we ate. The second weekend was Easter, guess I don't need to expound there, but I did buy a HUGE bag of Easter candy, you know, for the kids. But I helped a little too much. And the third weekend was my birthday and I went with the "calories-don't-count-on-your-birthday" attitude. Newsflash: Calories actually count regardless of the occasion. So, yeah, I packed on some weight and I was disgusted with myself. I did shed those extra pounds but I swear I'll never lose control like that again. Overall, I'm a pretty healthy eater, maybe even an extremist in some ways, but it's my treats that get me. And it's time to gain control.
To recap, here are my reasons for torturing myself:
1. To be in control of what I eat, rather than letting food control me.
2. To maintain my lifestyle; it's so easy to mess up and so hard to get back on track. So really, it all comes down to increasing my willpower.
Today is day 2 of Kryptonite. Day 1 was easier than I thought it would be, but then again, I was really busy all day. I'm not so busy today and it's harder. But I'm gonna stick it out. I gotta make it through March.
Here is one of my motivating factors: Unlike many, I do not gain weight during the holiday season. Typically, my training for one race or another peaks during the holidays so my workouts balance out the holiday goodies. However, early Spring is my "off season" and that is when I usually pack on a few pounds. Last year, I gained 5 pounds the first three weeks of April. The first weekend of April was conference weekend. Click here to see what we ate. The second weekend was Easter, guess I don't need to expound there, but I did buy a HUGE bag of Easter candy, you know, for the kids. But I helped a little too much. And the third weekend was my birthday and I went with the "calories-don't-count-on-your-birthday" attitude. Newsflash: Calories actually count regardless of the occasion. So, yeah, I packed on some weight and I was disgusted with myself. I did shed those extra pounds but I swear I'll never lose control like that again. Overall, I'm a pretty healthy eater, maybe even an extremist in some ways, but it's my treats that get me. And it's time to gain control.
To recap, here are my reasons for torturing myself:
1. To be in control of what I eat, rather than letting food control me.
2. To maintain my lifestyle; it's so easy to mess up and so hard to get back on track. So really, it all comes down to increasing my willpower.
Today is day 2 of Kryptonite. Day 1 was easier than I thought it would be, but then again, I was really busy all day. I'm not so busy today and it's harder. But I'm gonna stick it out. I gotta make it through March.
Comments
Thank you for visiting my blog.
I have left you a long reply on my blog. Do keep dropping in! :-)