It's Gonna Be Interesting....

So Wasatch Back starts today. My team actually started about 15 minutes ago. I have a couple of hours before it's my turn to run so I came home to do a few things and make sure the kids were settled.

I know two other gals on this team that I'm with this year, they've both run this thing in the past but everyone else in our van is a first-timer. There's nothing wrong with that, only their expectations and imaginations are no where near accurate. The gal that brought the van advertised it as a 9-passenger van. So I'm thinking it's gonna be great, plenty of room to spread out, because there's nothing grosser than sitting shoulder to shoulder and hip to hip next to others who are just as sweaty and stinky as you. (I'm speaking from experience.)

So we meet up with the other members of our van early this morning to load our gear. To my disgust, the 9-passenger van has been converted to a 5-passenger van. Umm...there's six people that need places to sit. I guess the owner figured we could seat four in the backseat, forget about seat belts. In the cargo area are these large leather mattress things. They were intended to be used to just relax and stretch out on. What first-timers don't realize is that once you get on the road, you have no need, or even a desire for "comforts" like that. Never mind the obscene amount of space they require.

I'm kind of starting to panic as I realize how cramped and miserable the next 36 hours are going to be. So, of course, I make a comment. I innocently (innocently?) asked about the number of seat belts which lead to a group discussion on safety and how we could be disqualified if we don't meet the requirements. In the end the van owner went home, dropped the leather mattresses and put the extra seat back where it should have been in the first place. I'm a little concerned her feelings may have been hurt but I'll thank myself for my lack of compassion a few hours from now.

I hope I survive. I hope the van makes it to Park City and back, it's kinda old and looks as though it's seen better days.

On a sweeter note, last night Damon was trying to figure out where I was going to be for two days. He asked if I was going to sleep in a hotel. I told him no. Then he asked if I was coming home to sleep. I said no and he asked where I would sleep. I told him I'd sleep outside in a parking lot somewhere (actually, I won't sleep at all). At that point be became concerned about mosquitoes. I assured him I would be fine. And then Brooklyn tells me to take a tent, which I'm not doing.

So, I hope I survive the mosquitoes and a night without a tent.

Comments

The Super Seven said…
Oh my, this sounds like it good be quite the adventure. I hope that you survive the weekend and hope that you guys do well. Can't wait to hear all the stories....
Jodie Pinsent said…
Good luck with the race! Good for you for speaking your mind (you know I don't have a problem with that either ( :
Tarbet Times said…
Best of luck! I hope it's better and not worse than you are expecting. Give us all the details when you get back.
Tarbet Times said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristi Drennan said…
Holy cow I hope you're still alive. Sheesh I can barely walk around the loop here...I need to get my butt in gear. Love that you can do this!
Stacey Irwin said…
ha! ha! At least you have the guts to say something! I would have just smiled and gritted my teeth. and been mad at myself for putting up with it.

I hope it goes well! And you survived the rough gravel of the parking lot .. and the mosquitos ( hee hee)
Your awesome!

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Parade

New House