The Ultrasound

I just have to document this for the sake of posterity.

We told the kids about the impending arrival of their new sibling a month ago and we swore them to secrecy. Brent and I wanted to wait until we new what flavor we were getting before we told anyone else. I am really impressed that they all made it through that month without spilling the beans, especially Brooklyn. We had planned a road trip to Colorado Springs and shortly after we departed home, Brent and I decided to tell the munchkins our news. I told them we were getting a really big Christmas present this year but it would actually be here before Christmas. Then I told them to guess. Brittany immediately said, "You're getting another kid!" We confirmed and all three kids were in shock. Damon kept saying "Tell the truth, Mommy. Tell the truth." The thought sunk in and, of course, the girls wanted a girl (although Brooky may have changed her tune later on, I'm not sure) and Damon wanted a boy.

Over the past month we've talked about gender and explained several times that we'll get whatever Heavenly Father wants us to have and there's no way to change it and it really doesn't matter what we get anyway. Damon held tight to his desire for a brother.

My 20-week ultrasound was this past Monday, July 19. We took the kids with us and just before we walked in, I reminded them that it didn't matter if baby was going to be a boy or a girl. Damon said, "I really want a brother."

The kids were intrigued with the ultrasound. That 3D stuff they do now is pretty amazing. Damon was a little spooked though, he kept saying, "That baby is creepy." After the tech did his exam and measurements, he informed us we were having a girl. When that registered with Damon, he immediately threw a fit and started crying. He kept saying, "I really want a brother. I want it to be a boy." It was at that point he crawled under the chair and wouldn't come out. The tech told me that he actually sees that kind of behavior a lot. Made me feel a little better.

His tears continued all the way out to the lobby.

It's been three days now and I think he is warming up to the idea, at least there hasn't been any more tears. He thinks we should name the baby Fluffy.

Comments

Kristi Drennan said…
Well I'm super excited for you! But I have to ask...didn't you JUST run a race or marathon??
Liz said…
I love it!! Poor Damon. Maybe he'll have to start praying for another baby after this one!
Anonymous said…
I think once it sinks in that he'll be the only boy and that there are benefits to that he'll get over it! Do you have any names?
Stacey Irwin said…
that 3-D stuff is amazing, but I'm kinda with Damon on this.. it looks sort creepy at the same time. I can't say I blame him for wanting a bro He is now most certainly outnumbered! But just tell him that means he doesn't have to share his toys with anyone. And you'll have to plan "escapes" for him and hubby! ( gotta find the perks right?!)
I can't believe you kept your secret for that long! But I'm super happy for you guys! I'm sure Damon will get more more excited as it gets closer. I hope your feeling okay too!
Stacey Irwin said…
that 3-D stuff is amazing, but I'm kinda with Damon on this.. it looks sort creepy at the same time. I can't say I blame him for wanting a bro He is now most certainly outnumbered! But just tell him that means he doesn't have to share his toys with anyone. And you'll have to plan "escapes" for him and hubby! ( gotta find the perks right?!)
I can't believe you kept your secret for that long! But I'm super happy for you guys! I'm sure Damon will get more more excited as it gets closer. I hope your feeling okay too!
congrat's that is sooooo exciting! I think the picture of Damon is hilarious!!!!!!
I'm still super shocked, way to go tami!!
Lis Drage said…
SO exciting! Congrats
Kelsey said…
Congratulations! I'm really excited for you guys! You'll just have to keep going until you get Damon a brother. :)
Brittany said…
Yaaaaaaaaaaay. I'm so super duper really super a lot excited for a baby sister. I knew it and no one else did. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!
Congrats! And I am in shock. I remember having a talk with you about having more kids, and we were pretty much on the same page...I hope that doesn't mean I'm going to change my mind... :)

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Parade

New House