It Has Begun
School. First day. Today. We did not get off to a good start.
Brittany started middle school today. (I still can't wrap my mind around that!) She's been nervous about the new experience. We've been to the school twice so she could practice opening her locker and find her way to her classes. Her sense of direction seems to have taken a vacation, even with the help of a map.
Middle school starts at 7:30, Britt's bus comes at 7:10. The kids requested pancakes for breakfast on this first day so, I, being the great mom that I am, headed out for my morning run extra early so I'd be home in time to cook breakfast. At just before 6:30 this morning, Brooklyn comes upstairs, dressed, and with a big grin on her face. I asked why she was up so early, as her bus does not come until 8:40. She said, "I just couldn't wait anymore." She then admitted that at 10:00 last night she got dressed and slept in her clothes, which I told her she was not allowed to do again. A few minutes later Brittany came upstairs, face pale and said she'd just thrown up. Her blood sugar was way too high and I'm not sure if the hyperglycemia was the problem or if it was nerves. Maybe of combination of the two. She tossed her cookies a couple more times and opted out of the breakfast I made myself available to make. (My feelings really weren't hurt. I felt bad for Brittany.) Britt decided to go to school and I really felt like she'd be okay once she got there and found her friends. She skipped the bus and I drove her down.
In the meantime, Brooklyn was bouncing off the walls and I told her she is absolutely not allowed to get up before 7:00. She did help Damon get his pancakes while I was taking Brittany to school. At 8:00 the phone rang. It was Brittany, she'd thrown up again but was feeling better, wanted to stay at school but her jeans were a little dirty. I ran some clean pants down to her and hurried home to get the other two ready to go.
Brooklyn and Damon were both excited and anxious for the bus to come. I was really glad Damon was happy to be going to school. The kids have known who their teachers would be for this year since the last day of school last spring. Upon learning who Damon's first grade teacher would be, his sisters both said, "Oh! She's the meanest teacher in the whole school!" I don't believe this to be true but after hearing it over and over, Damon was not looking forward to school. I finally threatened the girls with their lives if they said that to Damon one more time. We met Damon's teacher last night at Back-to-School Night and she seems very nice. The word among parents is that she is very nice, she is also strict and very firm. I don't think that's a bad thing. Damon is a good kid and knows how to listen and follow instructions. I think he'll be fine. However, this didn't stop me from wanting to go to school with him just to make sure he'd be okay. For some reason I just can't cut my apron strings from this kid.
Understandably, we didn't get any pictures of Brittany this morning, but here are a few of Brooky and Damon at the bus stop. I counted 35 kids waiting for the bus this morning and I think there may have been a few stragglers after my count. That number does not include the kindergarten bunch or the handful of kids whose parents drove them to school for the first day.



Brittany started middle school today. (I still can't wrap my mind around that!) She's been nervous about the new experience. We've been to the school twice so she could practice opening her locker and find her way to her classes. Her sense of direction seems to have taken a vacation, even with the help of a map.
Middle school starts at 7:30, Britt's bus comes at 7:10. The kids requested pancakes for breakfast on this first day so, I, being the great mom that I am, headed out for my morning run extra early so I'd be home in time to cook breakfast. At just before 6:30 this morning, Brooklyn comes upstairs, dressed, and with a big grin on her face. I asked why she was up so early, as her bus does not come until 8:40. She said, "I just couldn't wait anymore." She then admitted that at 10:00 last night she got dressed and slept in her clothes, which I told her she was not allowed to do again. A few minutes later Brittany came upstairs, face pale and said she'd just thrown up. Her blood sugar was way too high and I'm not sure if the hyperglycemia was the problem or if it was nerves. Maybe of combination of the two. She tossed her cookies a couple more times and opted out of the breakfast I made myself available to make. (My feelings really weren't hurt. I felt bad for Brittany.) Britt decided to go to school and I really felt like she'd be okay once she got there and found her friends. She skipped the bus and I drove her down.
In the meantime, Brooklyn was bouncing off the walls and I told her she is absolutely not allowed to get up before 7:00. She did help Damon get his pancakes while I was taking Brittany to school. At 8:00 the phone rang. It was Brittany, she'd thrown up again but was feeling better, wanted to stay at school but her jeans were a little dirty. I ran some clean pants down to her and hurried home to get the other two ready to go.
Brooklyn and Damon were both excited and anxious for the bus to come. I was really glad Damon was happy to be going to school. The kids have known who their teachers would be for this year since the last day of school last spring. Upon learning who Damon's first grade teacher would be, his sisters both said, "Oh! She's the meanest teacher in the whole school!" I don't believe this to be true but after hearing it over and over, Damon was not looking forward to school. I finally threatened the girls with their lives if they said that to Damon one more time. We met Damon's teacher last night at Back-to-School Night and she seems very nice. The word among parents is that she is very nice, she is also strict and very firm. I don't think that's a bad thing. Damon is a good kid and knows how to listen and follow instructions. I think he'll be fine. However, this didn't stop me from wanting to go to school with him just to make sure he'd be okay. For some reason I just can't cut my apron strings from this kid.
Understandably, we didn't get any pictures of Brittany this morning, but here are a few of Brooky and Damon at the bus stop. I counted 35 kids waiting for the bus this morning and I think there may have been a few stragglers after my count. That number does not include the kindergarten bunch or the handful of kids whose parents drove them to school for the first day.
Comments
Laughing that Brooklyn slept in her clothes. and Poor Damon how mean.. I mean really to start K afraid of your teacher.You'll have to tell me what he ends up thinking of her.
Your such a good mom. What a crazy day!