What I Hate...

...about being pregnant.

I pretty much hate everything about it. Obviously this won't be the most positive post, but since this blog is my journal, I get to write whatever I want.

It's true, I absolutely HATE being pregnant. With the exception of what I get at the end of the grueling nine months, I hate everything about pregnancy. I hate the tiredness, lack of energy, and queasiness that comes with the first trimester. I hate the hormone fluctuations. Many women get really emotional during pregnancy, happy one minute and in tears the next. That hasn't been me, I was just extra mean and grouchy during my first trimester. I seemed to have mellowed since. Oh! And the hot flashes that came during those first three months! I've never had hot flashes during pregnancy before. I was beginning to wonder if I was pregnant or going through early menopause. It was probably an indication that I'm probably getting to be too old to be doing this. I'm fine now, though.

I hate the changes my body experiences. I really hate getting bigger and bigger and not being able to find clothes that fit and are comfortable. I practically wear the same thing every day right now. I'm inbetween my regular sizes and maternity sizes. Even though I know it's normal and necessary, I hate watching the scale climb. Despite what my husband tells me, I do not feel pretty or attractive when I'm pregnant. Besides, I'm pretty sure he's lying.

I hate sharing my body. I'm not one of those women who loves to feel baby kick and wiggle. It bugs me. However, at the same time I'm glad my little one does move because it tells me all is well.

I've always been fortunate enough not to experience any major issues with my pregnancies. My blood pressure doesn't spike, I don't retain fluid, my ankles don't swell, I don't get stretch marks (I have a total of two stretch marks from my three previous pregnancies but they are so faint and tiny they wouldn't be noticed without my pointing them out.), I've never had to be on bed rest, I've never threatened to miscarry or gone into labor prematurely.

I hate the way some people offer me unsolicited advice when my belly bulges. Things like, "You shouldn't be bending over." "You shouldn't carry so much." Yeah, I heard both of these comments from a well-meaning sister at a Relief Society meeting last week. It really irritated me. I know what my limitations are and I get to decide what I do or don't do.

I don't mind the questions asked by friends and family one bit, but when a mere acquaintance or a complete stranger asks, "Was this planned?" or "Are you going to breastfeed?" or "Are you going to have more?" it really irks me. How do others think that's any of their business?

Despite all that I hate about this process, I love what I'm gonna get in a few months. Being able to bring that little bundle home will make it all worth it...as long as she sleeps good. (just kidding)

So, now, if you're feeling inclined to share, what do you/did you dislike about being great with child?

Comments

The Full Nelson said…
I am like you and hate everything about being pregnant. I didn't get any stretch marks with my previous two pregnancies but with Clara I did discover that I got two stretch marks. Joy. I do like feeling them move around though, but that's all I like about pregnancy. I gained a tonne this past time too so I am rather bummed about that too!
Christy Jones said…
I really like being pregnant. I don't get sick and tend to not be very moody. I don't gain very much weight but also have a hard time loosing it later. I do get stretch marks. my stomach looks like someone took a cheese grater to it!! Other than that I really enjoy the whole process even birth. Crazy I know!
Kristi Drennan said…
Oh I don't know if I can start. I'm way more uncomfortable with this one. Multiple people asking me when I'm due and then sorta giving me either a comment or look that indicates...WOW you're big already! Healthy food makes me sick...oh and fatter. And the fear....the fear of the fat aftermath. Though I do love when baby kicks me.
First of all Tami, congrats! What exciting news! I'm a little behind in the techno world lately - so happy for you and Brent! Um, I pretty much hate it all too. I'm huge right now. I'm due in 7 days and it can't come fast enough. Some lady in my ward told me I was bigger than her daughter who had twins. Ya ... that made me feel like crap. I look like jabba the hutt or a swollen weeble wobble. Yet, despite it all, and that I'm way too old to do this at 34, I'm stoked to bring home a little girl and smell her and cuddle with her. Best of luck with the rest of the pregnancy!!
Tamara Moses said…
I enjoy being pregnant, for the most part.I do dread the first trimester with all the tiredness and queasiness. I've been the sickest with this one. I too hate to see the scale rise. It is hard on the head, but I love feeling baby move inside me, and I really look forward to labor. I know, I'm a weirdo. It's the only time I feel that I am really an active participant in the baby process. Before that, I don't really do a whole lot. ANyway, that's my two cents worth.
Stacey Irwin said…
I'm just sitting over here laughing! I love your honesty. I too hate the constant need to tell me what I should and should not do when pregnant! I figured if pioneer women can walk across a couple state lines while pregnant..I can surely bend over and pick something up.( and I told my dear well meaning church members that too.)
I cursed myself with stretch marks I never had a single one til Cambria came along then BAHM! right on the gut.. nasty lil thing!
Tell you what, why don't you post some fun belly pics up here and we'll see if you make a cute prego lady, I'm betting you look pretty stink'n cute. hope you can hang in there for the next couple mo!
Amen Tami, relly there's not much good about being pregnant. Other than the child that eventually comes out and you love to pieces. Other than that it's pretty much torture...
So, was this planned, are you going to breastfeed, are you going to find out what it is, are you getting excited or nervous? Just kidding. I hate all the questions from strangers, also. I ESPECIALLY HATE how people think it's okay to touch a pregnant woman's belly. It's not their body, so stay away! I'm just saying...that's something that bugs me. :)

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Parade

New House