New Routines

We've been back in school for a whole week now and things are going well. The kids have adjusted and they seem to be liking their teachers and classes and making friends. What else could a mother ask for?

With the start of the school year comes the start of stricter schedules and routines. At our house, the rule has always been "homework right after school, play later (if there's time before dinner)." I've changed the rules for this year and so far it's going pretty well. Mostly because of Brooklyn, since she does everything at her own pace, regardless of my supervision/nagging, I decided to postpone homework. The munchkins come home from school, get a snack, get their work done (which only takes a few minutes because they get most of their chores done before school), then they get to go outside and play or watch TV, or whatever. Homework starts at 5:00 and by then they are ready to focus again. I just got to feeling really bad for Brooky because I knew she was sitting and listening and learning all day long and then she'd come home and sit some more and take forever to do her homework. By the time she finished, it was dinner time and she wasn't getting any time to just be a kid. I think Damon maybe would have been the same way this year. Our new schedule is working well so far. Damon struggled the first day or two. He just didn't want to do homework at all and I think he thought that if he stalled long enough he wouldn't have to do it. I stuck to my guns and it has clicked for him and I've heard no complaining this week.

I spent an hour in Damon's classroom this morning helping with reading and such. I got to watch the morning routine of his class and it is exhausting. Damon's teacher is very nice but she is strict and she demands the full attention of each kid at all times. Damon is a good kid and pays attention like he should and I started to realize why he has so much silly energy to burn when he gets home from school. He needs that playtime. I'm grateful I was inspired to do things differently this year.

Well, anyway, here's to another school year!

Comments

Stacey Irwin said…
ugghhh! I hate after school homework! I'm glad your new routine is working thus far, my fear is since they played first, they will drag their feet to the table and we'll be there waaayyy to late! I don't know what your kids homework pile looks like but our is pretty extensive for each kid. Laughing that Damon already hates the idea of homework!!
The Full Nelson said…
Sounds like a great routine, one that I may have to remember next year when Ethan starts school. Good to get all the energy out before buckling down with the homework! Hope you're feeling well!

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Parade

New House