Science Fair and Germs

Brooklyn's class had a science fair last week. Each student was required to do a project of their choosing. A month or so ago I suggested to Brooky that she take samples from things in the school and see what kinds of things grew from them in a petri dish. We ordered petri dishes and nutrient agar online and Brent brought us some sterile swabs from work. Brooky was so excited for this project and loved gathering samples and then watching them grow. She grew some pretty gross things. I've made a mental note not to touch anything in the school when I go there.

Pouring the agar into the petri dishes.


Collecting samples from the school. Some of the things Brooklyn swabbed were the front doors, the pencil machine, a keyboard and mouse, the lost and found, the drinking fountain, and the railings leading to the lunchroom. (It's no wonder kids get sick. Those railings were awful, the kids touch them and then put food in their mouths.)


Putting the sample in the petri dish.


This was a fun project, although it may not have been the best idea for me. It certainly did not help my germophobic tendencies, it made them worse. The other day I was thinking, reflecting, maybe, and trying to remember at which point in time I became a germophobe. I was in 4th grade. (Kinda young, huh?) I don't recall what triggered my fear of germs but I do remember being in he girls' bathroom at school and watching the other girls and taking note of anyone who left the bathroom without washing their hands. I wouldn't play with those girls and I wouldn't touch anything they touched.

My mom was serving as a Young Women leader at the time and one day she had her girls over to our house for something. There was one girl who I knew didn't wash after going to the bathroom (I don't know how I knew this.) so I watched her while she was in our house. I remembered everything she touched, including the couch she was sitting on, and when the girls left I got baby wipes (or something) and went around scrubbing everything the germy girl came in contact with.

I realize that being exposed to germs does help to strengthen our immune systems and that it is impossible to keep everything germ-free all of the time. But still...germs are gross.

Comments

Tarbet Times said…
What a great idea for a project! I would rather not know, sometimes ignorance really bliss.
Stacey Irwin said…
She better get an A.. And I'm sure after her presentation a few more germaphobes will be born thanks to the suisse family! I'm laughing at your story I ahd no idea you were so germaphobic at such a young age!
I agree germs are gross! I just wish there was a way to make all germs visible on all surfaces.. I'm sure that would help the spread! cool project !
I'm so glad I'm not the only germaphobe out there. I am bad. I seriously need to join a group. Cute post!
Liz said…
Absolutely fascinating! Maybe it should be presented to the school board to improve disinfecting at the school. Great job Brooky.
Brittany said…
Germy Germy Germs... Interesting!

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Parade

New House