Icky Feelings

A few nights ago our ward hosted an adult fireside. The purpose of the fireside was to help parents of school-aged kids to know what kinds of challenges kids are facing now. The bishop was concerned that parents weren't aware of some of the things their kids were getting involved in. The world is becoming such a horrible place and kids are facing challenges younger, things that an elementary kid should be clueless about.

I was glad to realize there wasn't too much discussed that I wasn't already aware of. So far, I think Brent and I are pretty on top of things. We do our best to communicate with our kids and keep an open door policy. We ask probing questions and invite and remind the kids to talk to us about anything. We've told them we'll answer their questions honestly and there are some things that should be considered too private to discuss with peers.

After the fireside we checked in with each of the older kids. We started with Brittany and Damon overheard me ask her if there was anything going on at school that made her uncomfortable or gave her an icky feeling. Damon piped up and said, "There's something at school that makes me feel icky."

Brent asked him what it was and Damon said, "Sometimes when someone is talking to me and they are talking too fast, they spit in my face."

Comments

Christy Jones said…
Love what that kid comes up with! The world is a scary place for our kids these days but I think if we do a good job of teaching them and trust them that they will make the right choices.
Stacey Irwin said…
That kid cracks me up. But aren't you glad that is the worst of it?! I find it interesting that they had a fireside on it.. what a great idea!

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Parade

New House