My Thoughts...

It's been interesting to read the status updates and comments on Facebook regarding the death of Osama bin Laden. The spectrum of opinions range from one extreme to the other. I have absolutely no desire to start a debate (or an argument) here, but I do want to jot down my own thoughts because this is my journal.

I'm not much for watching the news so I didn't learn of bin Laden's demise until about 5:45 on Monday morning. I was out running and listening to the radio on my mp3 player. My first emotion was probably one of shock or surprise. I think a part of me thought Osama would never be caught.

As the day went on, I tried to gauge my feelings. I take pride in my country and I definately feel like the U.S conquered on Sunday. This has been a long battle, and it certainly isn't over, but maybe we're one step closer to the end....or maybe not.

My understanding is that the SEALs were willing to take bin Laden into custody alive but since he resisted and began firing, the U.S. returned fire. Personally, I'm glad it ended right then and there rather seeing some sort of trial go on and on, not to the mention the amount of time and money it would cost for a trial. And also the incredible amount of security that would have had to have been implemented during incarceration.

I think some parallels from the scriptures can be drawn here. Nephi was commanded to kill Laban and was told that "It is better that one man should perish than that a nation should dwindle and perish in unbelief." 1 Nephi 4:13. So yes, I believe that God will justify those soldiers in killing such an evil man, but is He (God) happy about it? No, I don't think so. I don't think this event and the events leading up to it glorify God.

I feel no guilt that the world was minus one terrorist as of Sunday night. But, was justice served? No. I personally think that God is the only one that can (and will) make that happen. Would it have been better to capture bin Laden and torture him and make him suffer physically as he did to so many? No. I don't think that would have been the answer either. Yes, bin Laden killed thousands and thousands of people. He tortured and inflicted physical pain on his victims and left the loved ones of those victims with incalculable heartache. But, I truly believe that God will deliver what is deserved.

I suppose I even feel a little sorry for Osama. When I sit and think of what took place in the pre-existence, I realize he made the same choice that I did. I chose to follow Jesus's plan and come to earth to gain a body and to be tried and tested. Osama made that same choice. As difficult as it may be to comprehend, Osama is one of God's children.

So I guess I have some mixed emotions. I think it's sad that some people make such bad choices, choices that eventually lead to an end such as this one. I am glad that bin Laden is no longer one we need to worry about (although I'm sure we're going to see some retaliation from his followers). I am confident that he got and he'll get what he deserves, but I'm also really glad I wasn't the one that had to pull the trigger.

Comments

Brittany said…
Weird... Creepy... :)
Stacey Irwin said…
Well put. I agree with you more then most of the post on F.B.
Julie and Nate said…
Thanks for sharing... Your thoughts remind me of one thing Nate always tells me (because of his job and who he *gets* to work with/interrogate/etc), God loves each one of us the same. He loves the murderers/rapists/terrorists just the same as the good people. Really puts things in perspective for me, especially in situations like these.
Julie and Nate said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jackie O'Hearon said…
Well put indeed, and I agree with your feelings. I just wanted you to know!

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Bogger Messed Up My Give Away