Summer Reading Goals

I encouraged the kids to each set a reading goal for the summer. I told them to set a goal to read a certain number of pages before school begins the end of August. When their goals are met, they get to go out for ice cream and if the summer isn't over, they can set another goal for another reward. There were 3 rules for these goals: #1 Pages could not count until school was out last Thursday. #2 They are welcome to read a book as many times as they wish but those pages can be counted only once. #3 Books must be at or close to their reading levels. (You know, just so they don't pick really easy reads just to get the pages to add up quicker.)

Brittany used a logical approach to set her goal. She estimated how many pages she could and probably would read each day and set her goal for 3800 pages. She's almost a quarter of the way there.

Brooklyn and Damon just picked numbers. Brooky's goal is 1000 pages and as of yesterday after church, she'd already read 27% of those pages. Damon's goal was 500 and he reached that this morning.

Jeepers! We're only two weekdays into summer vacation and the goals are almost completed.

I told the kids that since they're reaching those goals so fast, I get to choose the number of pages for their next goals.

I love that my kids love to read. They each look forward to trips to the library and beg me to let them check out lots and lots of books each time. I love that it's not often I have to get after them to turn off the TV or video games, but rather, I have to tell them to put the books away and do this or that. I feel lucky that sometimes threatening to take away a favorite book is a much more effective incentive than grounding the gaming systems.

Comments

Love the new picture and blog background! I hope my kids like to read as much as yours. So far they love being read to...Job's just learning how to read so we'll see.
Jackie O'Hearon said…
HOORAY FOR YOU ALL....I LOVE WHEN KIDDIES CHOOSE TO READ!!!Sounds like a fun summer is beginning for you all. Love the new look for your page...and wow is your darling baby ever growing!!!
Brittany said…
I LOVE READING!
Brittany said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Parade

New House