Back to School
School began last Thursday. I had mixed feelings about sending the kids to school this year. On one hand, the summer has been so busy, we've done a lot, and I felt like I could have used a couple more weeks to just enjoy the season without the running around. On the other hand, the kids were ready to go back. They were getting bored, they'd done everything there is to do in the summer. The bickering and picking at one another was becoming almost a constant thing.
No bus stop picture this year, but here is Damon and Brooklyn in our "picture spot".
Damon is in 2nd grade and Brooklyn is in 4th. Both were excited to see their friends and get to know their new teachers.
We had to take Brittany's picture before she went to bed on the first day of school. Her bus comes at 7:10 and it's hard to squeeze in a photo shoot that early with everything else that needs to be done.
Britt is in 7th grade and was SOOOO excited to hit the books. She loves school and had herself and her supplies organized and ready to go long before the crack of dawn last Thursday.
With the beginning of the school year, we've made some changes in our family schedule. We have really slacked off on family scripture study this summer. As in, we haven't done it at all. We've always read in the evenings before the kids went to bed but there were so many nights that were so hectic. With homework, projects, chores, piano lessons, other activities and dinner, not to mention the contention and chaos that comes from just being a part of a family, there were so many times I just wanted to skip the scriptures and send everyone to bed. And when we did read, I was still in such a hurry to send everyone to bed, I just longed for peace and solitude.
I began to wonder if mornings might work better for us. I shared my thoughts with Brent and we agreed to give it a try. We started our new schedule last Monday (even though school didn't start until Thursday). The plan was to begin reading at 6:55. Everyone was expected to be on time and show up with scriptures in hand.
And it came to pass that there was much grumbling in the land those first couple of mornings.
And it came to pass that the grumbling lessened and ceased.
It's going well. And it's nice to pray as a family before everyone goes their separate ways.
No bus stop picture this year, but here is Damon and Brooklyn in our "picture spot".
Damon is in 2nd grade and Brooklyn is in 4th. Both were excited to see their friends and get to know their new teachers.
We had to take Brittany's picture before she went to bed on the first day of school. Her bus comes at 7:10 and it's hard to squeeze in a photo shoot that early with everything else that needs to be done.
Britt is in 7th grade and was SOOOO excited to hit the books. She loves school and had herself and her supplies organized and ready to go long before the crack of dawn last Thursday.
With the beginning of the school year, we've made some changes in our family schedule. We have really slacked off on family scripture study this summer. As in, we haven't done it at all. We've always read in the evenings before the kids went to bed but there were so many nights that were so hectic. With homework, projects, chores, piano lessons, other activities and dinner, not to mention the contention and chaos that comes from just being a part of a family, there were so many times I just wanted to skip the scriptures and send everyone to bed. And when we did read, I was still in such a hurry to send everyone to bed, I just longed for peace and solitude.
I began to wonder if mornings might work better for us. I shared my thoughts with Brent and we agreed to give it a try. We started our new schedule last Monday (even though school didn't start until Thursday). The plan was to begin reading at 6:55. Everyone was expected to be on time and show up with scriptures in hand.
And it came to pass that there was much grumbling in the land those first couple of mornings.
And it came to pass that the grumbling lessened and ceased.
It's going well. And it's nice to pray as a family before everyone goes their separate ways.
Comments