Computer Room Makeover

I've been wanting to give our computer room a makeover for a long time now, I think since last summer. I spent the winter planning how I would build a new desk and maximize the space in the room in order to free up space in other areas of the house. My "dream" officially became a reality last night when I completed the finishing touch of putting the books on the shelves.

I'm really bad at taking "before" pictures. I never think about it until part way through the project. I didn't get a "before" shot of the whole room, just the old desk so I could put it for sale on KSL. We bought this desk in Halifax when Brooklyn was about a year old. We had it a long time, it was home to many projects in the works, many hours were spent on computers at this desk, it traveled many miles with us (about 3100, from Halifax to Northern Utah), it served us well. I sold it to a newlywed couple (they'd been married less than a week), they needed something for their apartment while they finished school.


Here's the new look:
View of the room from the door.

A close up of the desk. This desk was the most enjoyable building project I've done to date. I'm sure it has something to do with the experience I gained last summer with building projects. I've learned that doing certain things in certain orders make for easier and less frustrating work. I've learned a few things that don't work at all and I was careful not to repeat those things. I learned a few new things this time that will help me with whatever comes next.

I took my time with this desk, I didn't rush. I wanted it to turn out well, especially since it's visible to anyone who walks in the front door. I don't really draw plans out on paper (because I can't draw), it's all in my head. I knew exactly what I wanted the outcome to be and I measured everything carefully and then re-measured just to make sure. Then I would think about it for a while and think through the best way to put it all together. Then I'd go through the whole process again. I think my kids thought I was crazy because I'd just stand in one spot and stare as I worked things out in my head.

A close up of the shelves. We have high ceilings in this room and I wanted to utilize the wall space for shelves rather than having book cases that take up floor space.

Now I'll tell you a little secret. The desk is not perfect. I tried really hard but I am an amateur. I'm happy with it, though and that's what counts. The shelves are not as neat as I could have made them. I let myself get too eager to be done and I could have done a better job. So, if you come to my house don't look too close.

Comments

Tami: I think you did an amazing job on the whole room. I'm so proud of you and all you accomplish. Was this your garage prject? I love the shelves and the desk is so nice. What does Brent think of it all?

Love, G. Audrey
Christy Jones said…
I think it looks amazing! I know I couldn't do it!! So nice to have a computer space like that.
The Full Nelson said…
Wow amazing! you're so talented!
Tamara Moses said…
Wow Tami. It looks great!! I love your "Satan sucks" sign. I may have to make one. You are an inspiration.
Stacey Irwin said…
you kill me with your amazing talent miss " I do this all in my head"! it gorgeous and functional! amazing!! love the book shelves too! LAUGHING at the satan sucks ... I want one.
Kristi Drennan said…
I just....I mean...how?????

So amazing!

Me too...LOVE the Satan Sucks sign!!

You rock.

Just sayin'.
I love the new desk and shelves! Beautiful. Plus, your old one wasn't too bad. It's the same one Kale and I have had since 1999. :)

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Parade

New House