9/11

Note: This is a long, rambling post. Since my blog is my journal, I'm posting it but you might want to skip it.

This past week the kids have come home from school and shared things they've learned about 9/11. In the days leading up to this, the 10th anniversary, I've taken some time to reflect on that day a decade ago. One of the things I've really realized is that my kids were either not yet born, or they were much too young to understand and remember one of the most horrific days in our nation's history. And since America changed on that day, my kids will never know what it was like before the tragedy.

There was a comment on facebook today. It went something like this: "I can't remember what I did last Tuesday, but I will never forget exactly what I was doing on Tuesday, September 11, 2001." I echo that statement. Brooklyn was nine days old. Brent had flown to Halifax, Nova Scotia a week before to begin dental school leaving Brittany, Brooklyn and me with my family with plans to travel the end of September. On September 10 (Brent's birthday), I was not feeling well. I'd been having some severe abdominal pain (it turned out to be nothing serious) and had gone to bed hoping to feel better the next day. Brooklyn slept fairly well that night and even slept in the next morning so I did too. I don't remember what time it was, but my mom came into my room that next morning and said a plane had crashed into one of the twin towers. I recall thinking it was an accident. But as the details were broadcast, it quickly became apparent that it was no accident. We spent a lot of time, as I'm sure every other American did, in front of the TV waiting for more information. I remember feeling unsettled and even vulnerable as the facts and details came to light.


I remember feeling scared and I was worried about Brent. The fact that he was 3000 miles away and much closer to the turmoil was a cause for some anxiety. I remember wishing that our little family was together.

I took the girls and went into Logan to the mall a few hours after the news hit the airways. At that point, it was still business as usual through town. I don't think the severity of the situation had been felt yet. I got what I needed at the mall and as I was leaving a girl working the Kiddie Kandids photo booth asked me if she could take some practice pictures of my kids. I agreed and she sent us home with some freebies. On the drive home, as I listened to the news trying to glean more info, I noticed how the sun was shining and the sky was blue and it looked like, but surely didn't feel like, an ordinary day in late summer.
Brittany - September 11, 2001 - Age: 2 years


Brooklyn - September 11, 2001 - Age: 9 days


I've always been a little nervous to fly but after 9/11, I was nearly terrified. I wasn't looking forward to flying across the continent to get to Halifax. I would have preferred to drive. It was September 29 and my mom, the girls and I got to the airport early that morning. Security had been really been beefed up and we knew we'd need extra time. Mom dropped me and the girls at the terminal and went to go park the car. As I stood there waiting in line, I saw a woman who looked as though she might be from the middle east, as her complexion was a bit darker and she was wearing a kaffiyeh (is that what they're called?). My heart started beating faster and I got really nervous. I had to tell myself that everything was fine and I was being prejudice. Of course, the day was uneventful, albeit VERY long, and we reached our destination safely.

I believe that God knew the events of 9/11 would happen and He allowed it. I know that God has had a hand in the healing process. I played the organ for Sacrament meeting today. During the sacrament, I turned to the closing hymn, "How Firm A Foundation". That song has seven verses but we only ever sing three. As I stared at the words of the 4th and 5th verses, I thought it very fitting on this day. The fourth verse states, "When through the deep waters I call thee to go, The rivers of sorrow shall not thee o'erflow, For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless, And sanctify to thee...thy deepest distress." And then the fifth verse: "When trhough fiery trials thy pathway shall lie, May grace, all suficient, shall be thy supply. The flame shall not hurt thee; I only design They dross to consume...and thy gold to refine."

As I continue to reflect and count my blessings, I must say that I am proud to be an American. I am grateful to live where I live and to be able to raise my children here and in the way I choose. I am thankful for the many freedoms and liberties we enjoy. I am proud of and thankful for those who have and do sacrifice so much to defend my freedoms. God bless America!

Comments

Stacey Irwin said…
I never felt more proud to be an american and more blessed to realize how lucky I am to live in america.. where our attacks are but once in awhile..( although still terrifying and devestating) as for other countries every few days. Your post brought back so many memories of that day for me. i loved your pictures of your itty bittys! And Loved the 4/5th vs.perfect.
Jackie O'Hearon said…
Thank you for sharing your heart with us Tami...even here in Canada it is indeed a day that I will never forget. I am proud to be neighbors to such a great country, and to call so many Americans my friend!! Love you

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Bogger Messed Up My Give Away