Christmas - 2011
Our Christmas holiday began just as it has the past few years. Our Christmas Eve junk food dinner is an event looked forward to all year. I cannot believe how excited the kids get and how much they talk about what they'll choose at the store.
We headed to Walmart just before noon on Christmas Eve, got a shopping cart and everyone tried to determine what they would be most hungry for come dinner time. It's the one time we buy whatever the kids want and they're allowed to eat it with reckless abandon. So of course, they choose things I refuse to buy during any other shopping trip. We filled our cart with garbage. Yup. There's no other way to describe what we bought. At one point I turned to Brent and, referring to what we were planning to buy, I said, "This is so ghetto." He agreed. I was actually a bit embarrassed at the check out. We spent $109 on pre-packaged, frozen, heat and serve food. Brent had to keep reminding me that we only do this once a year.
When we got home, the kids kept asking if we could eat dinner early. I said no. It was close to 7:00 by the time the food was ready and everything else was done. We set up a card table in the family room and watched "A Christmas Story" while we ate. And ate. And ate. (This picture only shows what fit on the table and does not include any of the treats or desserts in which we indulged. And yes, those are waffles in the upper right hand corner. Brooky wanted frozen waffles.)
After the movie, we read our Christmas Eve story. This year it was "The Mansion". Brent also read the Christmas story from the bible and then we shooed the kids off to bed.
Christmas morning arrived and, true to form, our kids, for the most part, slept as they usually do. Maya awoke around 8:20. Brittany was next, followed closely by Brooklyn. Brittany dragged Damon out of bed a short while later.
I didn't get many pictures of the loot, but we did have a good day and the kids made a pretty good haul. Santa was good to us. And, the kids were really generous with each other.
Brittany sewed matching pajama pants for Maya, Brooklyn, me and herself. She did a really good job.
Nobody wanted to put the toys on hold to go to church, but we did. And when we got home, we picked up right where we left off.
We headed to Walmart just before noon on Christmas Eve, got a shopping cart and everyone tried to determine what they would be most hungry for come dinner time. It's the one time we buy whatever the kids want and they're allowed to eat it with reckless abandon. So of course, they choose things I refuse to buy during any other shopping trip. We filled our cart with garbage. Yup. There's no other way to describe what we bought. At one point I turned to Brent and, referring to what we were planning to buy, I said, "This is so ghetto." He agreed. I was actually a bit embarrassed at the check out. We spent $109 on pre-packaged, frozen, heat and serve food. Brent had to keep reminding me that we only do this once a year.
When we got home, the kids kept asking if we could eat dinner early. I said no. It was close to 7:00 by the time the food was ready and everything else was done. We set up a card table in the family room and watched "A Christmas Story" while we ate. And ate. And ate. (This picture only shows what fit on the table and does not include any of the treats or desserts in which we indulged. And yes, those are waffles in the upper right hand corner. Brooky wanted frozen waffles.)
After the movie, we read our Christmas Eve story. This year it was "The Mansion". Brent also read the Christmas story from the bible and then we shooed the kids off to bed.
Christmas morning arrived and, true to form, our kids, for the most part, slept as they usually do. Maya awoke around 8:20. Brittany was next, followed closely by Brooklyn. Brittany dragged Damon out of bed a short while later.
I didn't get many pictures of the loot, but we did have a good day and the kids made a pretty good haul. Santa was good to us. And, the kids were really generous with each other.
Brittany sewed matching pajama pants for Maya, Brooklyn, me and herself. She did a really good job.
Nobody wanted to put the toys on hold to go to church, but we did. And when we got home, we picked up right where we left off.
Comments