I'm Becoming A Pushover
I've always been a pretty strict parent. I've never been much of one to coddle or give in, especially if there is whining involved. I always try not to threaten a consequence I wouldn't be able or willing to follow through with. And I don't make empty threats. I've never been one of those moms who buys stuff at the store just because a kid wants it...until this week.
Maya and I went to Walmart the day after Valentine's Day. All of the Valentine's stuff was near the entrance and marked 50% off. Among the goods were tons of plush toys; apparently the Walmart buyers bought a few too many this year. Anyway, Maya went crazy. I remember with my other kids, we'd go to the store and they'd get excited about a stuffed animal and I'd let them hold the toy as we did our shopping. But it ALWAYS went back to shelf, never did it go home with us. I had every intention to stick to my guns on Wednesday, but, alas, I didn't. Pinky Bear wandered the store with us, clutched in Maya's arms and then seemed to follow us to the car, home, and right into the house.
Later that day I was thinking and realized that never had I done that for any of the other kids. I never gave in like that. Not sure why I gave in this time. Maybe I'm getting soft. Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that we are in a very different financial situation now than we were when the other kids were Maya's age. I've developed a tendency to just buy whatever, whenever, without giving too much thought to the cost. Well, whatever the reason, Maya has a new friend.
Maya and I went to Walmart the day after Valentine's Day. All of the Valentine's stuff was near the entrance and marked 50% off. Among the goods were tons of plush toys; apparently the Walmart buyers bought a few too many this year. Anyway, Maya went crazy. I remember with my other kids, we'd go to the store and they'd get excited about a stuffed animal and I'd let them hold the toy as we did our shopping. But it ALWAYS went back to shelf, never did it go home with us. I had every intention to stick to my guns on Wednesday, but, alas, I didn't. Pinky Bear wandered the store with us, clutched in Maya's arms and then seemed to follow us to the car, home, and right into the house.
Later that day I was thinking and realized that never had I done that for any of the other kids. I never gave in like that. Not sure why I gave in this time. Maybe I'm getting soft. Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that we are in a very different financial situation now than we were when the other kids were Maya's age. I've developed a tendency to just buy whatever, whenever, without giving too much thought to the cost. Well, whatever the reason, Maya has a new friend.
Comments