Stupid SmartPhone
I have decided technology is something that can be very hard to live with but is next to impossible to live without. Maybe that's just me...
I've had quite the phone drama the past three weeks. But really this story began just over a year ago.
Once upon a time I had just a regular ol' cell phone. And I was perfectly content. I had no desire for anything more. Then one day Brent convinced me to get a Smartphone. I went with the Droid 2. It took some getting used to, but I soon began to really like it. Then, I probably even loved it. At some point, I got to where I couldn't live (function) without it.
One Sunday in January, my phone was working just fine. As I got ready for bed that night, I noticed the battery was critically low. I plugged the phone into the charger. At that point Mr. Droid 2 would was completely unresponsive. Wouldn't even turn on while plugged in the charger. Hoping it was just the battery, I went to bed. No change the next morning so off to the Verizon store I went.
I explained my problem to the associate, and because the phone was still under warranty for a couple more weeks, he made arrangements for me to receive a "new" phone. I was okay with this, despite the inconvenience. Oh, and I even forked over $13.85 for overnight shipping rather than wait five days for free shipping.
The "new" phone arrived Tuesday afternoon. What I didn't realize until Brent pointed it out was that the phone was not actually new, but "certified like-new". I was okay with this, as my understanding was this phone had passed an intensive quality test and should be just fine. Ummm, nope.
I got half way through the activation process when the certified like-new phone died. Just quit. The end. I headed back to Verizon the next day, not quite so patient this time.
This time the associate fiddled with the phone for 30 minutes (I timed it.), thinking he could make it work. Guess his magic wand was broken that day. In the end, he ordered me another "new" phone. Oh, but this time they didn't charge me for overnight shipping.
The FedEx guy and I got to know each other pretty good that week. He was a really nice guy. Anyway, phone #3 arrives Thursday afternoon. Seemed like this one was a winner. Got through the activation process just fine. Re-installed all my apps. Got my settings just how I like them. Life was good...For about 36 hours.
Yup. The damn thing died again. I was beside myself this time. So angry. So frustrated. Brent suggested I just get a new phone. He went with me to the store on Saturday to get something else. But not before I had a few choice words for the sales associate. I won't type those words here, my kids read this....not that it's anything they haven't before. So, $200+ later, I walked out with a new (for real new) Droid 3.
I didn't love that Droid 3 at first. It took some getting used to and I missed my Droid 2. We'd been together for almost a year. But it didn't take long for me to fall head over heels for Mr. Droid 3. I noticed some better qualities and features. Life was good again...for 17 days.
Last night Damon was playing Angry Birds on my phone and out of the blue, it just quit. Seriously!? What could possibly be the problem!? He was just sitting there holding the phone very nicely. I was baffled. I hadn't downloaded anything in two weeks. It hadn't gotten wet. Heck, I hadn't even dropped it yet. I was ticked!
I was none too happy when Brent got home and I told him my troubles. He was less than impressed as well. He suggested maybe I should just go back to a regular cell phone. I can't. I've been too spoiled. I'm way past the point of no return. I kind of blame Brent for this. He's the one that pushed me to get a SmartPhone. I probably still wouldn't have one if he hadn't encouraged it.
Maya and I paid a visit to the Verizon store this morning. I was just worried sick that I was going to have to buy another phone. I explained the problem to a guy named Matt. He ran some diagnostics and told me they could send me a "new" phone. By this time, I was so mad I was way past cussing, I was almost in tears. I told him of my previous issues with "certified like-new" phones. He then had the audacity to tell me that the "certified like-new" phones are 99% new and there is rarely a problem with them. I reminded him, a bit forcefully, that I received TWO of these phones in ONE week and they were both duds and that 18 days ago I dropped $200 on a BRAND NEW phone in that very store.
Matt left to go chat with his manager, came back a few minutes later and viola! my phone was all better. Somebody with some smarts suggested the problem might lie with the SD card. Matt reset my phone to factory settings and it has been fine since. He also said he'd leave a note in my file about this and if it happens again, my phone will be declared DOA and Verizon will give me a new phone. A real new one. My fingers are crossed that I don't have to go that route. I just want things to work like they're supposed to.
I got a check for $13.85 last week from Verizon.
A note about "certified like-new": I was told this is an industry-wide policy. Refurbished phones are given as replacements for phones still under warranty for two reasons. 1. Often times, despite that fact it's still under warranty, the model is no longer being made. 2. People would abuse the warranties just to be able to get something newer or better.
I've had quite the phone drama the past three weeks. But really this story began just over a year ago.
Once upon a time I had just a regular ol' cell phone. And I was perfectly content. I had no desire for anything more. Then one day Brent convinced me to get a Smartphone. I went with the Droid 2. It took some getting used to, but I soon began to really like it. Then, I probably even loved it. At some point, I got to where I couldn't live (function) without it.
One Sunday in January, my phone was working just fine. As I got ready for bed that night, I noticed the battery was critically low. I plugged the phone into the charger. At that point Mr. Droid 2 would was completely unresponsive. Wouldn't even turn on while plugged in the charger. Hoping it was just the battery, I went to bed. No change the next morning so off to the Verizon store I went.
I explained my problem to the associate, and because the phone was still under warranty for a couple more weeks, he made arrangements for me to receive a "new" phone. I was okay with this, despite the inconvenience. Oh, and I even forked over $13.85 for overnight shipping rather than wait five days for free shipping.
The "new" phone arrived Tuesday afternoon. What I didn't realize until Brent pointed it out was that the phone was not actually new, but "certified like-new". I was okay with this, as my understanding was this phone had passed an intensive quality test and should be just fine. Ummm, nope.
I got half way through the activation process when the certified like-new phone died. Just quit. The end. I headed back to Verizon the next day, not quite so patient this time.
This time the associate fiddled with the phone for 30 minutes (I timed it.), thinking he could make it work. Guess his magic wand was broken that day. In the end, he ordered me another "new" phone. Oh, but this time they didn't charge me for overnight shipping.
The FedEx guy and I got to know each other pretty good that week. He was a really nice guy. Anyway, phone #3 arrives Thursday afternoon. Seemed like this one was a winner. Got through the activation process just fine. Re-installed all my apps. Got my settings just how I like them. Life was good...For about 36 hours.
Yup. The damn thing died again. I was beside myself this time. So angry. So frustrated. Brent suggested I just get a new phone. He went with me to the store on Saturday to get something else. But not before I had a few choice words for the sales associate. I won't type those words here, my kids read this....not that it's anything they haven't before. So, $200+ later, I walked out with a new (for real new) Droid 3.
I didn't love that Droid 3 at first. It took some getting used to and I missed my Droid 2. We'd been together for almost a year. But it didn't take long for me to fall head over heels for Mr. Droid 3. I noticed some better qualities and features. Life was good again...for 17 days.
Last night Damon was playing Angry Birds on my phone and out of the blue, it just quit. Seriously!? What could possibly be the problem!? He was just sitting there holding the phone very nicely. I was baffled. I hadn't downloaded anything in two weeks. It hadn't gotten wet. Heck, I hadn't even dropped it yet. I was ticked!
I was none too happy when Brent got home and I told him my troubles. He was less than impressed as well. He suggested maybe I should just go back to a regular cell phone. I can't. I've been too spoiled. I'm way past the point of no return. I kind of blame Brent for this. He's the one that pushed me to get a SmartPhone. I probably still wouldn't have one if he hadn't encouraged it.
Maya and I paid a visit to the Verizon store this morning. I was just worried sick that I was going to have to buy another phone. I explained the problem to a guy named Matt. He ran some diagnostics and told me they could send me a "new" phone. By this time, I was so mad I was way past cussing, I was almost in tears. I told him of my previous issues with "certified like-new" phones. He then had the audacity to tell me that the "certified like-new" phones are 99% new and there is rarely a problem with them. I reminded him, a bit forcefully, that I received TWO of these phones in ONE week and they were both duds and that 18 days ago I dropped $200 on a BRAND NEW phone in that very store.
Matt left to go chat with his manager, came back a few minutes later and viola! my phone was all better. Somebody with some smarts suggested the problem might lie with the SD card. Matt reset my phone to factory settings and it has been fine since. He also said he'd leave a note in my file about this and if it happens again, my phone will be declared DOA and Verizon will give me a new phone. A real new one. My fingers are crossed that I don't have to go that route. I just want things to work like they're supposed to.
I got a check for $13.85 last week from Verizon.
A note about "certified like-new": I was told this is an industry-wide policy. Refurbished phones are given as replacements for phones still under warranty for two reasons. 1. Often times, despite that fact it's still under warranty, the model is no longer being made. 2. People would abuse the warranties just to be able to get something newer or better.
Comments
So, now that I got my rant out, I feel your pain, although obviously not so much. I still love my phone, but am also annoyed at the Droid. But, not enough to get an IPhone. :)