Wellsville Mile - 2012

Brooklyn got to run the Wellsville mile today and we're so glad she was able to run because we weren't sure it was going to happen.  Brooky has had foot and leg pain for the past few weeks.  A couple weeks ago I suspected shin splints, I think I was right, and took her to Runner's North for a running evaluation and shoe recommendation.  One hundred-plus dollars later a new pair of running shoes corrected that issue.  Less than a week after our shopping spree, Brooklyn started complaining of heel and ankle pain.  After a few days of rest it wasn't getting better so off to the podiatrist we went.

We came home with some orthotics and diagnosis of Calcaneal Apyphystis; Brooky has inflammation between the growth plates in her heel and the ankle pain was secondary to that.  This a very common problem in kids who like to run.  Ice, ibuprofen, rest and good foot support manage the problem until it goes away when the kid stops growing and the growth plates have fused.

  Brooky did her best this past week to take care of foot, hoping she'd be able to run.  Prayers (literally) were answered and she ran without the slightest bit of pain.  Well, at least in her foot.  She did get a side stitch.  Her mile time was 9:35, her best to date.  She was proud of that and I think she did really well considering she hasn't been able to train for a couple of weeks.







Comments

Christy Jones said…
What a neat experience for her! I am glad she got to run.

Popular posts from this blog

GiveAway!!

Parade

New House