Goin' Paleo
Brent and I have been dabbling with Paleo nutrition over the past couple of weeks. The Paleo diet is also sometimes called the Caveman diet or the Hunter/Gatherer diet. It consists of fresh meats, fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds. It does not allow for grains, sugar or artificial sweeteners, processed foods, and dairy is a very gray area.
Brent and I have both recently joined a CrossFit gym and we love it. CrossFit encourages Paleo practices so I began researching a few weeks ago. I have done a lot of reading and although I may not be able to explain it very well, in my own mind I understand the science behind this way of eating. It makes so much sense to me. I experimented on my own for a few days and noticed some interesting things. (Maybe I'll get into that in another post.) Over the past two weeks we've encouraged the kids to make Paleo-friendly choices (except Maya) and they've done really well, especially Damon.
Last week our CrossFit trainers announced a 30-day Paleo challenge. Brent jumped on board almost immediately. I hesistated because, well, I'm not really wanting to give up my Diet Dew or my cookies and I was afraid to fail. But I've come around and I've committed too. And so have the kids. Voluntarily or not, they can only eat what is in the house. We officially start tomorrow. I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but I gave the green light for the kids (and myself) to eat anything they wanted this weekend. It has been a weekend full of pasta, treats, cookies and other garbage and right now, I feel like crap. I'm looking forward to ridding my system of what I've put into it these past couple of days and feeling good again. Our challenge starts tomorrow.
Oh, and for those wondering how this lifestyle fits in with the Word of Wisdom, I've gained a new perspective on that. Maybe I'll get around to explaining later this week as well.
Brent and I have both recently joined a CrossFit gym and we love it. CrossFit encourages Paleo practices so I began researching a few weeks ago. I have done a lot of reading and although I may not be able to explain it very well, in my own mind I understand the science behind this way of eating. It makes so much sense to me. I experimented on my own for a few days and noticed some interesting things. (Maybe I'll get into that in another post.) Over the past two weeks we've encouraged the kids to make Paleo-friendly choices (except Maya) and they've done really well, especially Damon.
Last week our CrossFit trainers announced a 30-day Paleo challenge. Brent jumped on board almost immediately. I hesistated because, well, I'm not really wanting to give up my Diet Dew or my cookies and I was afraid to fail. But I've come around and I've committed too. And so have the kids. Voluntarily or not, they can only eat what is in the house. We officially start tomorrow. I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but I gave the green light for the kids (and myself) to eat anything they wanted this weekend. It has been a weekend full of pasta, treats, cookies and other garbage and right now, I feel like crap. I'm looking forward to ridding my system of what I've put into it these past couple of days and feeling good again. Our challenge starts tomorrow.
Oh, and for those wondering how this lifestyle fits in with the Word of Wisdom, I've gained a new perspective on that. Maybe I'll get around to explaining later this week as well.
Comments