Paleo Challenge
Phase 1 of our Paleo challenge will come to a close this week. (Then we start Phase 2.) This has been a really good experience for our family and a very educational and eye-opening experience for me. I've learned that so much of what I thought I knew to be correct and healthy is actually not the case. I've learned that a lot of what "experts" claim to be healthy is actually not. My view on nutrition and what is good and what is bad has completely changed. One of the most important things I've learned is that I shouldn't be afraid of fat. Fat does not make one fat; eating too many carbs is the reason people gain weight. I've learned so many things about food, why some things are actually bad for us and why other things are so good for us.
I feel like we've really grown as family as well. We spend a lot more time together in the kitchen preparing meals and snacks and then eating together. Where we used to sit down and eat maybe one meal together per day, we (at least the kids and I) are eating three meals together. We've experimented with new recipes and have found some real keepers. We've tried new foods and discovered we like them. Brittany, Damon and Maya have discovered they love nuts, which is something I could never get them to try before. All of the kids eat vegetables better now than they did before. Damon loves lettuce wraps and all three of the big kids ate salad the other night because that's what I put in front of them. (And remember, at our there are always two menu choices: Eat it or go hungry.) My kids have never eaten salad. To my surprise, the following day at lunch, Brooklyn fixed herself another salad.
Brent and I have and are seeing some physical changes too, although he more than I. Brent has only lost a few pounds, but he has toned up considerably. He looks like he's lost a lot of weight. My weight has stayed the same, which is fine since I didn't have any to lose anyway. I can tell that I've got a little more muscle tone than I did and I'm sure I've lost some fat and replaced it with muscle.
We've spent the past month living strict Paleo and I think we will continue with this lifestyle. (Paleo is a lifestyle, not a diet.) We'll relax a little and allow the occasional treat or non-Paleo meal but mostly we plan to embrace this.
I feel like we've really grown as family as well. We spend a lot more time together in the kitchen preparing meals and snacks and then eating together. Where we used to sit down and eat maybe one meal together per day, we (at least the kids and I) are eating three meals together. We've experimented with new recipes and have found some real keepers. We've tried new foods and discovered we like them. Brittany, Damon and Maya have discovered they love nuts, which is something I could never get them to try before. All of the kids eat vegetables better now than they did before. Damon loves lettuce wraps and all three of the big kids ate salad the other night because that's what I put in front of them. (And remember, at our there are always two menu choices: Eat it or go hungry.) My kids have never eaten salad. To my surprise, the following day at lunch, Brooklyn fixed herself another salad.
Brent and I have and are seeing some physical changes too, although he more than I. Brent has only lost a few pounds, but he has toned up considerably. He looks like he's lost a lot of weight. My weight has stayed the same, which is fine since I didn't have any to lose anyway. I can tell that I've got a little more muscle tone than I did and I'm sure I've lost some fat and replaced it with muscle.
We've spent the past month living strict Paleo and I think we will continue with this lifestyle. (Paleo is a lifestyle, not a diet.) We'll relax a little and allow the occasional treat or non-Paleo meal but mostly we plan to embrace this.
Comments